• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alfar

Phineas Crow

First Post
Alfar
Medium Outsider (Native)

Hit Dice: 5d8+20 (42 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. in chainmail (4 squares); base speed 20 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+2 Dex, +5 chainmail, +2 heavy shield) touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+7
Attack: Longsword +8 melee (1d8+2/19-20) or slam +7 melee (1d6+2 plus disease)
Full Attack: Longsword +8 melee (1d8+2/19-20) or 2 slams +7 melee (1d6+2 plus disease)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Disease, Nightmarish Gaze
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., dwarven blood, immunity to disease and poison, spell resistance 15
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 16
Skills: Appraise +8, Bluff +13, Craft (blacksmithing) +6, Hide +12, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Sense Motive +8, Spot +14
Feats: Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Longsword)
Environment: Temperate land and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, team (3-5), or squad (6–10)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: --

Distantly related to dwarves, alfar are creatures of nightmare and disease, delighting in spreading both throughout the world.

An alfar greatly resembles its dwarven cousins, with a stout and hardy figure. Their skin is darker than a normal dwarf’s ranging from dark gray to charcoal black. Hair color can be black, gray, or brown and male alfar usually have long beards which they decorate with jewelry carved from the bones of their enemies. They also have several distinctive features such as two small horns adorning their foreheads, red glowing eyes, and large orc-like tusks.

The origins of the alfar is clouded in mystery, while it is known they were once dwarves it is unclear what caused their drastic changes, though some scholars believe that the first alfar made a pact with a powerful, yet unknown, entity giving them their powers.

The intentions of the alfar are also obscure. Some alfar travel solitarily across the land using their powers to spread fear and disease. Others form rigid warbands, build defensive fortifications, and try to take control over stretches of land. Some turn their backs on openly destructive goals and settle with running a profitable business, becoming merchants or blacksmiths, though they usually run such businesses unscrupulously.

Alfar speak Common and Dwarven.

Combat

Alfar typically fight with longswords, only using their natural attacks when they wish to spread disease or are unarmed.

Disease (Ex): Shakes—slam, Fortitude DC 16, incubation period 1 day; damage 1d8 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Nightmarish Gaze (Su): Range 30 feet. A creature that meets the alfar’s gaze must succeed on a DC 15 Will save or become fatigued and unable to get any restful sleep for the next 24 hours, creatures cannot regain arcane spells while under this effect. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature cannot be affected again by the same alfar’s gaze for 24 hours. A remove curse spell will remove the effect from the inflicted creature. This is a mind-affecting fear effect, creatures that don‘t sleep or dream are unaffected. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Dwarven Blood (Ex): Alfar have the following traits which they inherited from their dwarven cousins:

—An alfar can move at its base speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor.

—Stability: Alfar, like dwarves, are exceptionally stable on their feet. An alfar has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Man, Phineas, you've been really productive in a very short time. You're putting us to shame.

The alfar looks good. The nightmare gaze is a nice flavor-with-a-nasty-side-effect ability. Any source of inspiration? The name Alfar is fairly Norse, but I don't recall Nordic dwarves being diseased, curse-bringing terrors.

Demiurge out.

Phineas Crow

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Man, Phineas, you've been really productive in a very short time. You're putting us to shame.

The alfar looks good. The nightmare gaze is a nice flavor-with-a-nasty-side-effect ability. Any source of inspiration? The name Alfar is fairly Norse, but I don't recall Nordic dwarves being diseased, curse-bringing terrors.

Demiurge out.

I've just had some free time and some ideas I've been meaning to get to.

You're right, the Alfar is loosely based on Scandinavian folklore, which the alfar (or alfr as it was then known) was sort of a half-god, half-dwarf. As the myth grew and changed the alfar became the alb in germanic myth, the alb were demonic beings which caused sickness and nightmares.

I just put both myths of the creature together and stated it out.

robjh

First Post
Nasty creature! I couldn't see anything intrinsically wrong with the Alfar, although it's a little wierd seeing a Dwarven relative with a high Charisma stat. Alternatively you could lower the Cha, then give a racial bonus to the nightmarish gaze and the Bluff skill.

Phineas Crow

First Post
robjh said:
Nasty creature! I couldn't see anything intrinsically wrong with the Alfar, although it's a little wierd seeing a Dwarven relative with a high Charisma stat. Alternatively you could lower the Cha, then give a racial bonus to the nightmarish gaze and the Bluff skill.

Just consider the alfar the slick car salesmen of the Dwarven Genera.

I set the Cha high mainly to reflect its otherworldly (outsider) connection. In hindsight I probably set it a tad too high, but I'm going to stick with it.

Remove ads