• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Along the lines of another post: What player RACES would you like to see added to 5e?

S

Sunseeker

Subraces! We've got 3 kinds of elf, dwarf and gnome, there should be plenty of room to make say, subraces for the explicit colors of dragonborn, for different demonic/devilish heritages for tieflings.

I'd like to see half-vampires and a legitimate aasimar race.
I was really disappointed with the genasi. The art certainly didn't help. Just felt like colorful people.
I'd like a plant race. Not like half-plants or something, but a legitimate plant people. Like Sylvari or Groot.

I'm also in favor of these being tied to settings to give them more interesting fluff.

I'm not reliant on WotC, but in the interest of brainstorming stuff for my own campaign, I wouldn't mind seeing:

Scro
Sidhe
Anakim
Fir Bolg
Agarthans
Svartalves
Thri-kreen

In many of these cases I don't particularly care about the mechanics of the race (e.g. Scro could be mechanically identical to half-orcs for all I care) but I'm interested in the softer, psychological/cultural aspects. E.g. Sidhe will never lie but they revel in bargains and deception. It's not the stats and abilities that I find interesting so much as the actual fantasy races.

I also like weird little abilities like the way Thri-kreen need less water and no sleep.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
None?

None is good. I have plenty of material and guidelines already to make whatever I might want or need in games, myself.

So, to answer the query of the thread, I would like to see no more races presented at all. That is, of course, an unrealistic expectation.

The best I can hope for is they have the sense to just keep the setting-specific things that [admittedly] they need to make for the setting-specific fans in setting-specific products/releases.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
Any is really fine with me because I have no intent of using them, but not a jerk enough to say "more races are dumb and no one should want them".

Also...

More races are dumb and no one should ever use them.

heh

Mercule

Adventurer
I'd take more out than I'd add.

The major PC race, for my home brew, that's missing from the PHB is the hobgoblin. Also, Trollborn from the 2E Vikings handbook.

I'd like to see the Eberron races in an Eberron book.

Jediking

Explorer
I'd like to see:

-Lizardfolk (probably best for a campaign setting)
-Orc (so Half-Orcs can be proud of their parents!)
-Mul (humans breed with everyone else, but dwarves get the short stick)

Templates could also be added in and could apply to all races. They wouldn't have to be as drastic as vampirism or a half-dragon, but something that could easily be slapped on and add minor benefits/hindrances.
-Undead: ghost/zombie-like
-Lycan: if Shifter is not their own race.
-Celestial/Devil-born: again, why are humans always attracting even the Gods? Let's see the world tremble at Orcus' twisted gnome son: Hellfire Spinklefloomph!

All of them. Everything that has been published in previous editions plus new ones. Yes, Brownies, Satyrs, Vampires... possibly give them classes too where appropriate.

Ye Olde Big Book of Races.... I would buy that. Although I think having an eye on campaign settings is probably the way to go for 5e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads