• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alter Self

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Nail said:
I've looked this spell over again.....man, would it suck to be a type other than humaniod or outsider!

The fey IMC may have to come up with a new version of this spell.
And the succubus just got a whole lot easier to spot in a crowd. :rolleyes:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Does anyone know if a troglodyte or lizardman form gets the claw(s) and bite?
Anything official on this, or did they expect everyone to glean the info from their conflicting spell description? :rolleyes:

I didn't like the silly change to the Alter Self spell. I just don't see it as a poor man's Polymorph, but as a transhuman approach to spellcasting. I house ruled it like this - the caster may gain any one Special Attack or Quality of an Exceptional nature, or may add +4 to any one facet of their character (natural armor), or a +20 to their base movement rate. They may change this once per round but the change takes one standard action to perform.

That way they can fly, or get the armor boost or gain a special sense or natural attack - but only one at a time. The spell physically alters the PC, but does not change their appearance to that of another race - i.e. you look like you, but with wings, or gills, or with a prehensile tail, or thick bony plates, etc.

LokiDR

First Post
Anubis the Doomseer said:
I didn't like the silly change to the Alter Self spell. I just don't see it as a poor man's Polymorph, but as a transhuman approach to spellcasting.

For what it's worth, the new alter self is more consistant with the other form changing spells: poly, baleful poly, and shapechange. Consistancy is nice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads