• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Saving Throw system

Hawken

First Post
This idea was rumbling around my head and I wanted to see what you guys think.

Saving throws are still a d20 + modifier roll. However, they no longer scale with level but are fixed.

Good Saves provide a +2 bonus, Poor saves a +0 bonus. Multiclassing into new classes or prestige classes do not increase this bonus, but could allow a Poor save to become a Good one. Classes that provide 2 Good saves (Ranger, Cleric, etc), now provide Average saves, a +1 bonus to both formerly Good saves. Monks can choose between a +2 bonus to any one save or take a +1 bonus to any 2 saves.

Example 1: A Wizard (Good Will/Poor Fort-Ref) takes a level of Fighter (Good Fort/Poor Ref-Will). The Wizard now has the option of claiming as his Good save either Fort or Will (but not both).

Example 2: A Fighter takes a level of Blackguard. Because both have Fort as the Good save, there is no change in saves.

Example 3: An elf Fighter/Wizard takes on a level of Arcane Archer. The character can now choose to have as his Good save either Will, Fort, or take a +1 bonus to Fort and Ref.

The point is that classes now provide no more than a +2 bonus to saves.

Save DCs are fixed and set based on the difficulty of the event triggering the save.

Easy difficulty = DC 7.
Average difficulty = DC 12.
Hard difficulty = DC 17.
Severe difficulty = DC 22.
Epic difficulty = DC 27.

How do you determine the difficulty? Based roughly on character level, but also taking other factors into consideration, such as the monster and the potentcy of their attack, DM fiat, circumstance bonuses or penalties, etc.

Roughly something of equal level to the player (give or take 2 levels) operates at an Average difficulty. This gives roughly a 50% chance of success after factoring in the save modifier (Good/Avg/Poor), ability mods and any other bonuses that may or may not be present.

Something 3 levels or more lower than the PC is Easy, while something 3-5 levels above would be Hard. Severe would be something 6 levels or more above the PCs level, or something extraordinarily dangerous such as an Adult Dragon's breath weapon. Epic would be something that the average person would have no chance against (a Lich casting Wail of the Banshee, etc.).

The saving throw feats (Iron Will, Luck of Heroes, etc.) still apply, as do spells and magic items that increase saving throws.

Characters are able to make a Great Escape on any save with an Easy difficulty. Escape meaning they completely avoid the effects on a successful save (any save, Will, Fort or Ref), and if they fail, they suffer only the most minimal effects (1 point of ability score damage, 1hp damage per die, duration of ongoing effects for 1 round only, etc.. So, a Ray of Enfeeblement that's an Easy save would only drain 1 point of Strength instead of 4, while a Charm that would last for 10 rounds would only work for 1 now and a fireball would only do 1 point per die of damage.

If the saving throw beats the DC of a Difficulty two steps higher than the listed Difficulty, the character gets an Escape on that save. An Escape means no damage/effect on a successful save, and on a failed save, half damage/effect.

Spell Resistance could also be incorporated into this. Any creature with Spell Resistance would treat the spell or effect as if it were 1 step lower in Difficulty (Severe would be Hard, Average would be Easy) and the character gets an Escape on that save, or a Great Escape if Difficulty is reduced to Easy.

Kerrick

First Post
It's.... odd. I read this in the House Rules forum, and I wasn't sure what to think then either, but I decided I should post something.

I did much the same thing with poisons and diseases - I dissociated (natural) poison DCs from monster strength/power, because it made no sense - some of the deadliest poisons on Earth are produced by some of the smallest creatures. In general, the more powerful the creature, the deadlier the poison, but smaller creatures like a toad can have deadly poisons too.

I think this would work best for a game where there are no levels as such, or something like E6. It would certainly help to curb the power creep at higher levels, though... some of the epic monsters have ricidulously high DCs.

Hawken

First Post
Yeah, I did post there and no one answered, so I posted here.

It does get rid of power creep, actually any kind of creep. Feats like Spell Focus and things that modify DCs would still apply, but the base DCs are otherwise fixed.

Poisons and diseases are another reason. A cobra that bites you is probably going to kill you regardless if you are a novice swordsman or an experienced duellist. However, a 10th lvl fighter should have roughly a 50/50 chance of avoiding a fireball from a 10th wizard, while a 5th level fighter would have a harder time, and a 15th or 20th level fighter would find it much easier to avoid.

I think it would work just fine, regardless in a level game or not. There are plenty of things that are gained with a new level; skills, feats, hit points, spells, treasure, magic, etc.

Kerrick

First Post
Yeah, it would probably work - it's not much different from a DM assigning skill DCs based on the PCs' totals rather than a set DC, so that he can choose whether or not something will provide a challenge.

Remove ads