• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazing new sorcerer spell -- Arcane Spellsurge

Ranger5

First Post
I actually didn't think the spell was that great. Reason being is that most of the spells out there are standard actions. So under the effects of this spell all those spells are now swift actions and you can still only cast one swift action a round.

Of course there are the Summon spells, I am aware. So yes it is powerful in that case with a caster loaded up on Summon spells. But in most of the games I am in or run this doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanee

First Post
Yep, that's the limiting factor for non-spontaneous casters.

At least it's nice to see, that they sometimes actually do something for those and not only for the prepared casters.

Bye
Thanee

Ranger5 said:
I actually didn't think the spell was that great. Reason being is that most of the spells out there are standard actions. So under the effects of this spell all those spells are now swift actions and you can still only cast one swift action a round.

Of course there are the Summon spells, I am aware. So yes it is powerful in that case with a caster loaded up on Summon spells. But in most of the games I am in or run this doesn't seem to be the case.

There must be lots of spells that have a full round casting time that don't suck. With this rule, you can cast one of those, and a regular spell, every round.

WoTC developers obviously understood why this was a problem at one point, because they nerfed haste. What happened? Another advantage vs. fighters at level 13+ is the last thing arcane casters need.

Ken

Ranger5

First Post
Haffrung Helleyes said:
There must be lots of spells that have a full round casting time that don't suck.

Ironically I thought the same thing at first when I saw the spell. But then I did some searching of the internet and found this site http://www.emass-web.com/ and used the tools there to create near-comprehensive spell list of arcane spells from a ton of the books. I then went through it and looking at the spells that are more than 1 standard action (besides the summoning spells of course) I found most of them to be non combat spells.

They were good spells but ones where the Arcane Spellsurge spell would not make sense to cast in conjunction with.

I would attach the document I used but it is too big. :\

Felix

Explorer
7th level spell --> 14th level Sorcerer.
(3.0 Haste was what, 4th level? So an 8th level Sorc.)

1 of 3 7th level spells ever for a Sorc.

Ambiguous as to wether Metamagic can be used to allow 1 swift and one metamagicked standard action spell. [At least so says the OP]
(Haste explicitly allowed 2 spells to be cast per round)

Range: Personal? OP didn't clarify, but it seems to be the case.
(Wasn't 3.0 Haste a number of targets?)

----

Sure, there are similarities but it doesn't seem as offensive as some of you think. If you want to restrain it without banning it, make it have a casting time of 1 round. Or shorten the duration to 1 round / 2 levels. But it doesn't really need that much tweaking to rein it in, if at all.

Dracorat

First Post
Solarious said:
It's like haste, but only useful for spellcasters. They should just have reprinted 3.0 Haste instead: now, it only empowers spellcasters, which makes them that much more powerful.

What you meant to say, of course, was that they should never have crossed this bridge.

I agree.

Solarious

Explorer
More or less. In other words, Wizards hires no proofreaders and no one who checks for any semblance of balance (Curse you, Planar Shepard! Damn you for tainting what was otherwise a very well written book!). Game balance is a myth, to be sure, but it's a myth I believe in, darnit! :p

Storyteller01

First Post
So I take it no one here liked the description of the Emporer in Book of Vile Darkness?

Forget the fighters! Let's see the sorcerer go after the wizard with quickened spells!

LET THE APOCOLYPSE BEGIN!! :]

Last edited:

Remove ads