• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amazon: D&D at the start of 2018

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
In the wired article Chris said that D&D had its best ever sales in November and that xgte was the best initial sales of any d&d book ever.

Could certainly see the best ever part, but I still don't know what "fastest" meant. We know it did not hit #1 overall like the PHB did, but could be some other metric. Amazing for a supplement (in a game with 3 core books) in any case.

darjr

I crit!
Could certainly see the best ever part, but I still don't know what "fastest" meant. We know it did not hit #1 overall like the PHB did, but could be some other metric. Amazing for a supplement (in a game with 3 core books) in any case.

I may have misquoted a bit. When I get a chance I’ll post a link to the whole article. I’m amazed it hasn’t made it as a news article here.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
As of today, Feb 4, 2018, in the "Amazon Best Sellers Rank: Books" category:

PHB #35
XGtE #105
MM #172
DMG #182
VGtM #336

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, when you think about it, has D&D ever been this stable? I mean, the WotC team, other than adding a few hires in drips and drabs, has been rock solid for years. No firings, no drama at all.

Fantastic for the game.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I totally remember the day I broke the news to my gaming group when the 2nd Edition PHB fell from the top shelf of our favorite local game store as the best selling product of the week. We cancelled our year-long campaign right then and there, and started looking for the new hotness. Turns out it was Ravenloft. And then Dark Sun. And then...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 9.17.12 AM.png

ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, both PHB and XGTE are in top 100 as right now, but they do have deep discounts, each less then $30. So price matters, but of course people have to be doing something with them, no matter how cheap they are.

EDIT: The blank there is the presale for Mordekainen.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
View attachment 93690

ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, both PHB and XGTE are in top 100 as right now, but they do have deep discounts, each less then $30. So price matters, but of course people have to be doing something with them, no matter how cheap they are.

EDIT: The blank there is the presale for Mordekainen.
Those Zelda art books are amazing, highly recommended.

Zardnaar

Legend
Players seem to buy them online more. Even in 3.5 you might have 2 or 3 phb. I have seen a few 3 or 4 D&D groups and almost every player has a PHB sometimes 2.

Amazon existed in 2000/2003 but online shopping was not such a thing then and that was pre social media. 4E kind of crapped the bed so 5E is basically the 1st D&D benefitting from social media/YouTube/online selling which was in it's infancy for the most part as late as 4E launch.

Buying online was trend setting in 2004 for example with Netflix/Amazon/steam/debit cards and things like xboxlive/PS4 store even in the last 5 years it's become a lot more common to buy online.

Remove ads