• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amazon: D&D at the start of 2018

darjr

I crit!
Current camel camel camel graph

https://camelcamelcamel.com/Players...-Wizards/product/0786965606?active=sales_rank

salesrank-camelchart-locale-usasin-0786965606force-1zero-0w-725h-440legend-1ilt-1tp-allfo-0lang-.png

Emerikol

Adventurer
I'm happy for the hobby. A strong D&D is good for gaming in general. Pathfinder has its niche which I doubt will go away any time soon.

How about the players who really loved 4e? Are they embracing 5e do you think? And I don't mean those who just play the current version of D&D regardless but the real embracers.

For me, if I play any time soon, I'll probably stick with hacking an OSR. I do like the spells as they are written in 5e. I just really don't like the martial classes. Rests an all that aren't for me.

Has the old school people embraced 5e? I'd think at least some of them would like the streamlining. I'm curious how the different viewpoints have embraced 5e.

Hussar

Legend
Honestly, I think it's fair to say that pretty much everyone at this point is embracing 5e. Granted, I don't have any real numbers to back that up, mostly Magic 8 Ball style gut feelings, but, if you look at stuff like Roll 20 and Fantasy Grounds, you have 5e D&D taking up the majority of all games being played by a fair chunk. I think the last numbers we saw had 5e being somewhere around the 60% mark of all RPG's being played. That's pretty broad acceptance.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Honestly, I think it's fair to say that pretty much everyone at this point is embracing 5e. Granted, I don't have any real numbers to back that up, mostly Magic 8 Ball style gut feelings, but, if you look at stuff like Roll 20 and Fantasy Grounds, you have 5e D&D taking up the majority of all games being played by a fair chunk. I think the last numbers we saw had 5e being somewhere around the 60% mark of all RPG's being played. That's pretty broad acceptance.
That's probably a bad sample, too, as I suspect fans of many of the other games are more likely to need to resort to online tables than 5E players.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's probably a bad sample, too, as I suspect fans of many of the other games are more likely to need to resort to online tables than 5E players.

Hard to say. From what I can make out Pathfinder had peraps gone down 40 percent. 4E after the collapse did not have enough players to sustain a clone, OSR was never that big to begin with, influential though.

I would guess most of 5E are relapsed TSR/3E players and new players. Pathfinder slow decline, hardcore 3E players stabilised, OSR more less business as usual.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Pathfinder has its niche which I doubt will go away any time soon.

Pathfinder has taken a hit since 5e came out. It might also just be slowing down because it is getting older.

There are dozens of smaller RPGs out there. 5e isn't killing them. Instead, I think it is more of a rising tide lifting all boats situation.

How about the players who really loved 4e? Are they embracing 5e do you think? And I don't mean those who just play the current version of D&D regardless but the real embracers.

The 4e player population is too small to tell. My instinct is that most of them are probably the 'people who play the recent edition of D&D' as you put it. As with any RPG, if a group really loves it they will probably stick with it. 5e is a different game with different goals.

For me, if I play any time soon, I'll probably stick with hacking an OSR. I do like the spells as they are written in 5e. I just really don't like the martial classes. Rests an all that aren't for me.

Has the old school people embraced 5e? I'd think at least some of them would like the streamlining. I'm curious how the different viewpoints have embraced 5e.

Anecdotally, I think so. Again though, the player count is so small.

I started with 2e and 5e feels much more like it than 3e (I skipped 4e). Once I played 5e I sold my 2e and 3e books. I still had my 2e books b/c 3e, while okay with houesrules, wasn't really my thing.

I think people who like 0-2e also like 5e and are more likely to play it because it is easier to get players.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Pathfinder has taken a hit since 5e came out. It might also just be slowing down because it is getting older.

There are dozens of smaller RPGs out there. 5e isn't killing them. Instead, I think it is more of a rising tide lifting all boats situation.
Oh sure. I think 5e is more popular than 4e and Pathfinder was benefiting from 4e's unpopularity with some players. I think Starfinder might be cannibalizing some of the Pathfinder people too.

The 4e player population is too small to tell. My instinct is that most of them are probably the 'people who play the recent edition of D&D' as you put it. As with any RPG, if a group really loves it they will probably stick with it. 5e is a different game with different goals.
They seemed very loud during the 5e development time but I suppose that doesn't really prove anything.

Anecdotally, I think so. Again though, the player count is so small.

I started with 2e and 5e feels much more like it than 3e (I skipped 4e). Once I played 5e I sold my 2e and 3e books. I still had my 2e books b/c 3e, while okay with houesrules, wasn't really my thing.

I think people who like 0-2e also like 5e and are more likely to play it because it is easier to get players.

The newest edition is always the easiest to get players. I think many parts of the game are well thought out. It probably depends on what you liked about the older editions. But surely this had to be where they drew in a lot of new players. And of course new people who've never played before are attracted to a simpler game in general I think. I know the drive for simplicity was something I approved of myself when they were in the production stages.

Remove ads