• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazon Delay until JULY 22nd

Trickstergod

First Post
Mourn said:
Amazon is a load of BS.

I pre-ordered my Gift Set back in March, and on June 6th, I received an email notifying me that it was canceled.

My friend pre-ordered his Gift Set back in April, and received an email on Monday that his order wouldn't be shipping until July 14th.

Our other friend ordered the Gift Set on June 8th, and received his books yesterday.

Yeah, I ordered my Gift Set on May 30th, with free shipping. The initial estimate was delivery for June 10th. Then a few days later Amazon told me June 16th.

The actual shipping time, though? My books showed up on June 11th.

Denaes

First Post
Trickstergod said:
Yeah, I ordered my Gift Set on May 30th, with free shipping. The initial estimate was delivery for June 10th. Then a few days later Amazon told me June 16th.

The actual shipping time, though? My books showed up on June 11th.

Damn. I ordered mine Feb 27th. I got an email on June 6 to expect my books about June 11-16. Then an email on June 12 saying that my order was ready to ship and I would get an email to notify me when they do. Still no email.

Why are they shipping so far out of order? I know of the issue where you change your order and get put at the end of the line, but I haven't changed my order.

Trickstergod

First Post
Denaes said:
Damn. I ordered mine Feb 27th. I got an email on June 6 to expect my books about June 11-16. Then an email on June 12 saying that my order was ready to ship and I would get an email to notify me when they do. Still no email.

Why are they shipping so far out of order? I know of the issue where you change your order and get put at the end of the line, but I haven't changed my order.

Customer priority, possibly. If you're willing to order months ahead of time, "obviously" you're willing to wait a while longer, whereas someone who orders a few days before the ship date is a little less patient - or possibly willing to cancel the order and not bother purchasing it, ever, as it's apparently not a high priority want.

Which isn't to say Amazon is right - or, for that matter, that Amazon holds that theory at all - but it's one possibility.

At the very least, I think it's possible that someone who orders only a few days ahead of time may not bother buying at all if things take too long. But even if someone who ordered months ahead of time will likely end up buying no matter what, well...they could very well offer their business somewhere other than Amazon.

Denaes

First Post
Argyuile said:
I am a strong believer that it doesn't matter what mistakes you make but what you do about them that matters. Amazons customer service department has saved them from forever losing a customer. Good job.

I agree. It's not the mistake but how they handle it.

I called them up and on the phone they told me the order wouldn't go out until July 26 (when they expected their next shipment) and basically that the email I got yesterday apologizing for the delay and promising shipment in the next day was a lie.

Fine, so I ask if they would do the same for me, giving me the same price for the individual books and upgrade my shipping to make up for their mistake. They told me no, so I canceled the order.

Annoying because I was in a bookstore today looking at the DMG & MM and could have picked them up then.

Can't say I'll forever abandon Amazon, but I'll likely only use them for their 3rd party sellers for the foreseeable future.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I preordered early Feb. On June 10 it was supposed to ship and did not. I foolishly decided to bump the shipping method from free to 2-day (at a much higher cost). This change lost me my place in line, bumping my shipping estimate to July 3. I called twice to complain, and so far all I am getting is "sorry, but nothing we can do" from an India call center.

Lesson learned - do not attempt to give Amazon more of your money to get something faster....they will just punish you for it.

Denaes

First Post
Funny to note, when I canceled my order, I went out and picked up the DMG & MM at cost (already had the PHB).

I get home and got an email telling me that my order shipped about 9pm EST via UPS 2nd Day Air.

I log onto Amazon and my order is gone because I canceled it.

So it looks like I ended up canceling my order due to them not wanting to make things right which was only required because they don't know whats going on with their warehouses/stock?

It's also funny to note that the 2nd Day air (which ships on saturday) started friday night and has an ETA of 6/18 which means UPS is quoting a 4 day delivery time on a package they took money on for 2 day air.

Ought to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
My FLGS sold out on the Saturday of the Game Day, got a restock on Monday and sold out and got another restock. They currently have at least a half dozen of every book.

I hope they sell out again.

Lord_Zephyr

First Post
For those of you who still want the actual gift set instead of just the three separate books, you might want to try ordering it from a smaller website. I ordered a gift set from alibris.com for $70 and it should be arriving by June 25.

I was screwed over by Barnes & Noble and given the July date so I cancelled my order with them. The unfortunate thing is that I had redeemed two gift cards to pay for it. Now it seems they won't let me use them for another purchase since they are empty. Does anyone know if there's a way for me to get them refunded?

malraux

First Post
Denaes said:
I agree. It's not the mistake but how they handle it.

I called them up and on the phone they told me the order wouldn't go out until July 26 (when they expected their next shipment) and basically that the email I got yesterday apologizing for the delay and promising shipment in the next day was a lie.

Fine, so I ask if they would do the same for me, giving me the same price for the individual books and upgrade my shipping to make up for their mistake. They told me no, so I canceled the order.

Annoying because I was in a bookstore today looking at the DMG & MM and could have picked them up then.

Can't say I'll forever abandon Amazon, but I'll likely only use them for their 3rd party sellers for the foreseeable future.
I preordered in February and didn't get a delayed shipping notice till the 10th. I've emailed to complain and got a basic reply saying that they would credit my account $5. But on checking my order, I've lost my 5% preorder discount, effectively meaning that Amazon is crediting me $2.11. Currently my shipping date is shown as July 7th, but the response also says that they are filling orders on a first come, first serve basis, which strikes me as somewhat dishonest.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads