• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amazon or Local?

halfling rogue

Explorer
I think it is a bit rude to say that you don't like your Not-so-FLGS, but you're happy to use them to browse books that you then buy online. I'm not a small business owner, but I imagine that type of "customer" (well not really, since you're not buying anything) would frustrate me as they're just using me as a library.

I'm saying that's the type of customer I've become. This is the type of customer they've cornered me into being. The nature of their product (Games and Comics, etc) is what drives me to their store. There isn't anything else around that has the selection they do.The fact that I'm even going back speaks more for their product than their service (fo-dam-sure). And I've said that I have the desire to support them and I have and will likely do so in the future with minor purchases. So the way I see it, that they even have a "customer" like me, and benefit even from a smidgen of my wallet, is frankly a miracle. If I could find the same product at another location they'd never see me again. Any frustration they have with customers like myself does not derive from the customer but from the way they've run their business. If they are okay with treating me like a shmuck more than a customer, I'm okay with treating them like a library more than a FLGS.

Agamon

Adventurer
I think it is a bit rude to say that you don't like your Not-so-FLGS, but you're happy to use them to browse books that you then buy online. I'm not a small business owner, but I imagine that type of "customer" (well not really, since you're not buying anything) would frustrate me as they're just using me as a library.

I've picked up a book at a store, looked at it, and returned it to the shelf with no intention of buying it, online or otherwise. This was a common occurrence before e-commerce. Hopefully the internet hasn't turned shop owners into paranoid conclusion-jumpers.

Now, I guess if the same guy came in every week and looked at stuff and never bought anything...well, personally, I'd find out why. The person you're replying to said the staff were rude. I'd start there. It hypocritical to be upset about rude customers when they only act that way because of your rude staff.

Mercule

Adventurer
I look at what that $20 gets me. From that perspective, I think the "early release" to LGS is great, on Wizards' part, despite costing me money. That $20 then becomes (semi-)tangible based on the early purchase.

So, I ask myself, "Is the carrot worth the money?" For the PHB, it was. For the MM, it's not -- we're just going through modules, right now, which have the stats. For the DMG, I suspect it will be, again. We'll see about other products.

It may sound harsh, but I don't give money to a particular store just to keep them in business. I may pay a couple bucks extra, but anything above that feels like I'm giving to charity and the Red Cross is a better charity than Gamers, Inc. I want something for my money. In this case, the reward is a bit contrived, but it's still real. WotC has equipped the store with a competitive advantage. I can behave like a consumer instead of donating to the Church of Gaming just to keep the lights on.

I guess my short answer to your question, then, is that you should ask yourself whether you're getting something worth the difference in cost.

I'm saying that's the type of customer I've become. This is the type of customer they've cornered me into being. The nature of their product (Games and Comics, etc) is what drives me to their store. There isn't anything else around that has the selection they do.The fact that I'm even going back speaks more for their product than their service (fo-dam-sure). And I've said that I have the desire to support them and I have and will likely do so in the future with minor purchases. So the way I see it, that they even have a "customer" like me, and benefit even from a smidgen of my wallet, is frankly a miracle. If I could find the same product at another location they'd never see me again. Any frustration they have with customers like myself does not derive from the customer but from the way they've run their business. If they are okay with treating me like a shmuck more than a customer, I'm okay with treating them like a library more than a FLGS.

Fair enough. Your previous post came across as, "Well, I'm never going to buy anything from them any more, but that won't stop me from using them to read their books and buy online."

Instead it's more like, "I really want to buy from them, but every time I'm in there, they keep giving me reasons not to."

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I had the Starter Set pre-ordered on Amazon and it was delivered before I even really started participating in Adventurer's League games at my FLGS and someone bought me HotDQ from my Amazon wish-list without me even knowing until it was delivered. I swear that if my FLGS found out that I didn't buy them there, I'd be drawn and quartered.

Don't poop where you eat, as they say :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
At I have a bit of a dilemma that I hope you guys can help me out with. I've already ordered the monster manual from Amazon, but have recently found out that my local game store has it early as a WPN store. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $20 just to support them? Or should I wait a week or so and get it for cheaper from Amazon?

Generally speaking, IMO, it's better to pay a little more from a local store than to get it cheaper from Amazon.

Support of a local store supports everything that store does, including game nights, demos, play rooms, etc. It supports a local community that you can turn to if you need another actual body at your table at some point. It gets you out of the house and moving around and interacting with people. It supports someone who lives near your community, who can take the extra $20 and spend it directly in your community. It connects you with fellow people who share your interests.

Amazon has two major advantages over the local store: price, and convenience. If you can't afford the $20, or you are SUPER LAZY, Amazon will fill your needs. But if you're lucky enough to have a local store, you gain a LOT of positive externalities from that $20 that you don't get if you buy the book online.

Which isn't to say that buying from Amazon is bad, just that the "support" is more than just nebulous good feelings -- that extra time and money comes back to you.

Remove ads