• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amazon or Local?

At I have a bit of a dilemma that I hope you guys can help me out with. I've already ordered the monster manual from Amazon, but have recently found out that my local game store has it early as a WPN store. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $20 just to support them? Or should I wait a week or so and get it for cheaper from Amazon?

Crothian

First Post
Depends on your situation. If you are going to be running 5e and will get good use out of the MM then buy it now. If money is a little tight then go with the cheaper option. I get them from amazon because I don't feel my local stores are doing anything for me to warrant my business.

Depends on your situation. If you are going to be running 5e and will get good use out of the MM then buy it now. If money is a little tight then go with the cheaper option. I get them from amazon because I don't feel my local stores are doing anything for me to warrant my business.

Yeah the stores that do carry it I lean towards liking, but the store that I love doesn't carry it. So still up in the air for me.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
At I have a bit of a dilemma that I hope you guys can help me out with. I've already ordered the monster manual from Amazon, but have recently found out that my local game store has it early as a WPN store. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra $20 just to support them? Or should I wait a week or so and get it for cheaper from Amazon?
You need to ask yourself several questions.
1. What does that $20 represent to you? Is it a few drinks at Starbucks? Or is it a couple days groceries?
2. Do you want to be sure you get a copy without the smudged pages (pp140-141? If you buy it in-store you can check it out.
3. Do you want to wait a week to be able to read and use the MM?
4. How much does the FLGS mean to you?

If $20 is a lot of money, you should wait for Amazon.
I don't know the percentage of faulty books, but I was told of a store that had received 72 bad copies (they seem to sometimes appear in batches) Getting a bad one from Amazon can add a few more days before you can use it.
If you need the book now, you have your answer.
Regardless of timing, your local store may be important to you, or it may not.

Last edited:

remotenemesis

First Post
I was able to buy both the PHB and MM from two different local game stores. Having lost all the bookstores in my city, I'm really keen on supporting my FLGS as much as I can.

You need to ask yourself several questions.
1. What does that $20 represent to you? Is it a few drinks at Starbucks? Or is it a coouple days groceries?
2. Do you want to be sure you get a copy without the smudged pages (pp140-141? If you buy it in-store you can check it out.
3. Do you want to wait a week to be able to read and use the MM?
4. How much does the FLGS mean to you?

If $20 is a lot of money, you should wait for Amazon.
I don't know the percentage of faulty books, but I was told of a store that had received 72 bad copies (they seem to sometimes appear in batches) Getting a bad one from Amazon can add a few more days before you can use it.
If you need the book now, you have your answer.
Regardless of timing, your local store may be important to you, or it may not.

Good questions to ask. It wouldn't be much of a burden to buy the book, $20 is well within my budget. And I agreee with the other poster. The amount of bookstores in my area has declined drastically. I think I will go ahead and support them.

Mercurius

Legend
I have a twinge of guilt for pre-ordering from Amazon, but with that $10 off coupon it is hard to refuse a bit less than $27 a book. That said, the closest game store to me has 20% off all product, so the difference is more like $13. But I've decided to stick with Amazon for now, although I might not be able to hold off when the DMG comes out - of the big three, that's the one I'm most excited about.

One thing about Amazon and returns. It can be frustrating to get a damaged book from Amazon, but they are VERY good about it - and they'll send you a new copy with one-day shipping, and you can hold onto your old book until after it arrives so you don't have a gap with no book.

Remove ads