• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amusing dungeon ideas.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
What are some of your amusing dungeon ideas for 5E? Ones you wanted to try for personal amusement, or just to mess with the players? Here's one of mine:

The X Dungeon

Just inside the dungeon's entrance is a large sign that says, "Press X to die." There are two doors off the entrance: An extremely heavily trapped door that leads straight to the final boss, but which has to be opened by pressing an X on it, and a door leading into the rest of the dungeon.

All throughout the dungeon are X's marked on things. Floor times, wall bricks, doors, random objects... And every single one is a lethal trap that is activated by pressing on the X, no matter how much pressure is used.

At the very end is a set of doors to the boss room, inside waiting the boss of the dungeon. Like the first set leading that way, this set requires touching an X to open it. Only... you have to pull on it this time (unless you're inside the room, then you have to press it). The door is lethally trapped, but the trap only works if the occupant of the room comes out through that door; the players pulling the door open are perfectly safe.

marcelvdpol

Explorer
Press "X" to die, then let a player roll a d20 Die (get it?).

Other ideas:
* a dungeon that changes shape every time players enter a room (the doors slam shut and characters hear a rumbling sound).
* a trap filled dungeon where the hints and solutions to a lethal trap can be found inside the previous trap (written in obscure languages).
* massive dungeon with short cuts a la Dark Souls where you can open a passage that bypasses the parts of thr dungeon that have already been cleared.
* dungeon where gravity changes direction by levers, opening up parts of the dungeon where you need to walk on what were previously the side walls (makes mapping hellish but takes creativity of the dm to create this type of dungeon).
* dungeon where time flips between moving forward and backward. One round initiative order goes highest to lowest, next round lowest to highest.

alienux

Explorer
I created one where a wizard was trapped in a cavern and unable to escape. He is trapped inside of a stone statue and can't get out, but is able to cast a spell that creates an image of himself outside of the cavern. He does this and convinces a group of adventurers, who believe the image to be real, that they should go on a quest to retrieve a powerful artifact in the cavern.

After entering the cavern, the entrance magically seals shut (due to a magical trap not associated with the imprisoned wizard). The adventurers have to find a rune deep in the cavern to unseal the entrance, and along the way, hopefully find and release the trapped wizard, who they are surprised has been trapped in the cavern all along.

ccs

41st lv DM
I have a t-shirt that has the heart/lungs/stomach/instestins/etc drawn as an old school grid map.

I've long considered turning it into an actual dungeon.
PCs enter a collossal statue via the mouth & have to work thier way out the other end.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I have a t-shirt that has the heart/lungs/stomach/instestins/etc drawn as an old school grid map.

PCs enter a collossal statue via the mouth & have to work thier way out the other end.

I predict this campaign will end in the toilet ;)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I haven't done this yet, but I've been kicking around the idea of the Dungeon Mimic. The entire dungeon complex is a gigantic Mimic that forms room and traps from it's own flesh, and can even split off bits of itself to form various monsters. It's like a giant venus flytrap that uses treasure and magic items as a lure for it's preferred food source - adventurers.

Mad_Jack

Legend

There's an old third-party adventure called Sword of Ice by Role Aids (I think?) where the entire "dungeon" is a complex of ice caves high up in the mountains - Which turns out to be the inside of an "ice titan"'s brain ...
Most of the things the party encounters, i.e., creatures and such, are actually the ice titan's memories wandering around, lol.

Satyrn

First Post
I haven't done this yet, but I've been kicking around the idea of the Dungeon Mimic. The entire dungeon complex is a gigantic Mimic that forms room and traps from it's own flesh, and can even split off bits of itself to form various monsters. It's like a giant venus flytrap that uses treasure and magic items as a lure for it's preferred food source - adventurers.

I remember a Star Trek episode like that. TNG I think.

Remove ads