• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An attempt at a Half-Elf Variant: The Rapscallion!

aceofgames

First Post
Eerie as it might be I have found myself making up a entire campaign setting from the top down. It started when I drew a map (see it here: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2575211#post2575211).

Anyhow, I've come to the half-elves in my new setting. Heres my first draft on the race:
Rapscallions
For centuries, the human pirates who dwelled in the Free Isles raided the coasts of the Elf Nation of Cylumia, stealing the best of the elven ships and elven women. Over the course of time, the Free Isles became predominately half-elven. The pirating traditions of these half-elven and their natural conditioning to the sea caused the name Rapscallion to be simultaneous with Half-Elven.

Rapscallions always bred true with humans, and other rapscallions. The elves of the Cylumian Navy as well as any elves consider it taboo and disgusting to bred with humans or rapscallions. This has kept the rapscallions primarily born and bred in the Free Isles.

The physical difference between a rapscallion and his twin ancestries, is a blend of elven grace and human ruggedness. A rapscallion is noticeable for his two most striking physical traits, his glowing blue eyes, and his ears. Most rapscallions also grow lengthy beards, a practice considered to be an insult to the polite circles of Cylumia.

RAPSCALLIONS (HALF-ELVES)
• Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
• Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Swim and Speak Language is always a class skill for Rapscallions.
• +1 racial bonus on Listen, Appraise, Spot, and Swim checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Gather Information checks.
• Human and Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a rapscallion is also considered to be a human, and an elf at the same time.
• 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

---------------------------------------------------

If anybody has some criticisms and advice, I'm wide open to it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads