An E6 oriental/western game (replacement needed) - last call for bento

Amazing Triangle

First Post
Color me interested. I like the setting idea. As to what to play...a lot of it is guessing but.

Ninja - A broken man who has failed his house and dishonored his family. So he is working to over come this horrible loss and trying to start over, if he can.

Beguiler - A common trickster on the run from the law. Generally tries to help folks but is a bit untrustworthy around their money.

Monk/Cleric - Monastic monk who has left the comforts of his home to search for the meaning of life. He is naive in ever sense of the word. Very rigid in his training. (decisive strike Phb2)

Ranger - A woods guide who has very little interest in politics, but sees that he must get involved to make a change. Has been known to take the long route for dignitaries so they are late. (no animal companion, distracting shot PHB2)

Hmm I think that is enough for now..When character creation is posted I will narrow it down.

Don't fully understand E6 after reading it but I can learn.

mfrench

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
Ninja - A broken man who has failed his house and dishonored his family. So he is working to over come this horrible loss and trying to start over, if he can.

Beguiler - A common trickster on the run from the law. Generally tries to help folks but is a bit untrustworthy around their money.

Monk/Cleric - Monastic monk who has left the comforts of his home to search for the meaning of life. He is naive in ever sense of the word. Very rigid in his training. (decisive strike Phb2)

Ranger - A woods guide who has very little interest in politics, but sees that he must get involved to make a change. Has been known to take the long route for dignitaries so they are late. (no animal companion, distracting shot PHB2)

Very interesting ideas. I like the potential for occasional comic relief that the Beguiler would bring, however that is the class with which I am least familiar. I will look it over, and will tentatively allow it. The other choices would all be welcome!

For everyone, I've narrowed down the list of potential races, and they are:

Eastern (former) Empire
Human (oriental) -- priests are Shugenjas
Spirit Folk (from OA) -- blend in with the easterners

The 'Native Races':
Human (arabic) -- traders and nomads from the far western wastes
Shifter (from Eberron CS) -- usually live in the wastes, reviled as demon-spawn
Changeling (from Eberron CS) -- prevalent in the big cities, reviled as demon-spawn
Korobokuru (use stats for a dwarf, only small, no darkvision, and Favored Class = Barbarian) -- live in the wastes
Goliath (from Races of Stone) -- frequent the mountains that separate East from West
These peoples are native to the western lands; so rarely are they trained as martial adepts, that for one to even be seen with a katana is probably going to cause a fight. They are never members of Houses. The Empire treated them much like the Native Americans: tribes with various languages, ancestry and religious beliefs, and now after many years they have sort of blended their religious traditions to the point that Shamans will serve any of them.

Stats will be from a 32-pt point buy, with costs as per the DMG.

The normal Alignment system just doesn't seem appropriate, so I want to use a variant like Honor and Taint, from Unearthed Arcana. I will formalize something later.

For the moment, assume that this won't be E6. We can always decide to change that later on down the line, if we think the campaign calls for it. For that matter, all of this is open for discussion. If there is a rule/class/feat out there that you feel is appropriate, I will try to work it in.

I've edited to first post to include some of this stuff.

Last edited:

mfrench

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
Don't fully understand E6 after reading it but I can learn.
Here is E6 (the long version):
Step 1) Play normal D&D until you hit level 6.
Step 2) Now, every 5000 xp gains you one new feat.
Step 3) Play until you are sick of feats (I've never heard of this happening).

BTW, all the NPCs are built under those assumptions, so it's not like the PCs get hosed. It is just a new way to re-calibrate exactly what 'epic' means. Some people have used 8, or 10, or made new 'virtual epic levels', or whatever. I like it for it's simplicity and the feeling of it.

For this game, it might actually make sense for characters to get so proficient with weapons that they strike many more times in 6 seconds than an opponent, or have a jump skill so great that they can easily hop to the top of a tree, or balance so unearthly that combat can be held on bamboo trees. What I consider the wonkiness of high-level D&D in medieval settings can fit Wuxia-style gaming pretty well.

mfrench

First Post
The cast, so far . . .

Just to make it clear who has showed interest in what (no commitments so far):

Nac Mac Feegle: a Diamond Mind swordsage wandering demon-hunter
Autumn: a Warblade ronin-type, an Oathblade or mercenary
Lorthanoth: a Shaman
Amazing Triangle: a ninja/beguiler/monk/cleric/ranger (hopefully not all at once)

So far lots of wanderers (I guess the Old West was full of people with no particular place to go :))

Lorthanoth

Explorer
May your humble servant respectfully suggest, honourable DM, that if you wish to have a Wuxia style campaign, then a 32pt build may simulate this better than a 28pt build....

May the demons of a thousand hells consume me if I speak out of turn.

DrZombie

First Post
Hi guys. I've been waiting ages to find an oriental setting game. You don't happen to have the oriental adventuresand rokugan rules do you :D ?

Anyway, i'm thinking about a shifter being trained as a monk, either adopted as a baby in a monestary, then sent wandering because he didn't fit in, or a monk saved by a wandering tribe of shifters taught one of the tribe all he knows, and his pupil is now wandering the wastes. either way, an oddbal who prefers peacefull solutions and dialogues, but is ready to kick arse.

I'm very much in favour of the E6 system, but will play anything.

mfrench

First Post
Lorthanoth said:
May your humble servant respectfully suggest, honourable DM, that if you wish to have a Wuxia style campaign, then a 32pt build may simulate this better than a 28pt build....

Done! It has been changed in the prior posts.

May the demons of a thousand hells consume me if I speak out of turn.
I'll wait for the campaign to begin before I let the demons start the consuming! :)

mfrench

First Post
DrZombie said:
Hi guys. I've been waiting ages to find an oriental setting game. You don't happen to have the oriental adventuresand rokugan rules do you :D ?

Anyway, i'm thinking about a shifter being trained as a monk, either adopted as a baby in a monestary, then sent wandering because he didn't fit in, or a monk saved by a wandering tribe of shifters taught one of the tribe all he knows, and his pupil is now wandering the wastes. either way, an oddbal who prefers peacefull solutions and dialogues, but is ready to kick arse.

I'm very much in favour of the E6 system, but will play anything.

Greetings! I do have OA, but I'm not all that influenced by Rokugon. This is just sort of generic oriental goodness, but with a Wild West sort of lawlessness mixed in.

A shifter monk would be neat; he probably wouldn't be quite what anyone expects at first glance.

I think we'll hold off on the E6 for now, unless all the objections are dropped.

Autumn

First Post
mfrench said:
I think we'll hold off on the E6 for now, unless all the objections are dropped.

Well, much as I hate to shoot myself in the foot, I believe that I'm the only person to have actually expressed a strong preference against E6. So whilst my objection stands, I'd feel lousy to be standing in the way of everybody else playing the game they wanted to. :heh:

I guess what I'm saying is, if everybody else prefers E6 or has no preference (which is how it seems) then I'd be happy to bow out in deference to that.

mfrench

First Post
Here are the links to taint and honor. Detect Evil will detect taint. Classes that must remain Lawful (such as monk) should have a well-developed code in place of that restriction. Classes which cannot be lawful (such as bard/barbarian) can either choose a selfish code, or specifically live by no code whatsoever.

I'd also propose using Upkeep rules (a set cost of living for each month of in-game time) which must correspond to your social standing. I'll dig those up within a day or so.

Remove ads