• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An E6 oriental/western game (replacement needed) - last call for bento

mfrench

First Post
As promised . . .

The starting area is a (relatively) fertile river valley in the mountains that divide the Western Wastes from the Old Country (former seat of the Empire). Over the mountains to the east, there are still three vast citadels of cities, which continue to fight for supremacy.

Here in the West, there are several large city-states, whose influence creeps out along the rivers until they come into conflict. The Nakatura Valley boasts a large town (Katsuki Ford) at the mouth, a small town (Hiruma Watch) on a lake in the middle, and several villages spread throughout. The Nakatura River feeds into a small city (Tamori Castle) that serves as the seat of power in the region. House Katsuki serves Tamori’s interests in the area, but is in major competition with House Shiba, which controls the valley directly to the north. Both rivers empty into the heartland of House Tamori, and both Shiba and Katsuki want favored trading status. In addition, a rich gold mine is being worked in the disputed pass between Shiba and Katsuki. Needless to say, these two Houses don’t like each other much.

The campaign will begin on the road along the river between Hiruma Watch and Katsuki Ford. The surrounding lands include a large plateau where nomads roam with herds; some dangerous, tomb-filled hills where bandits make their hideouts; and the mountains themselves, which boasts Goliaths and bigger threats.

The ‘fertile’ lands should be considered more like Savannah or Prairie: the fauna include African wildlife such as lions, hyenas, jackals, etc. The rivers include crocodiles as the major threat. The mountain uplands include bamboo forests and pandas, etc. Domesticated animals include hogs, oxen, and camels. Elephants are a major sign of wealth, and horses are a minor sign of wealth. The traders from the Far West have their own breed of horses, which they breed with great pride.

The ecology is sort of a grab-bag – I hope that doesn’t grind anyones gears too much.

Oh, and I went through and stole bunches of names from Rokugun - If that throws anyone off, I can edit those too.

mfrench

First Post
Nac Mac Feegle said:
I think my preference is for a Diamond Mind swordsage wandering demon-hunter.

Here's some background concerning demons:
[sblock=Nac Mac Feegle]There are at least three kinds of demons in the world (that you know of so far):
a) Demons of Pleasure/Lust: they usually dwell in cities, corrupting souls by posing as human; associated with Changelings.
b) Demons of Wrath/Rage: they sweep down out of the wastes, leaving destruction in their wake. Their devoted human cultists develop jackal heads through dark rituals.
c) Demons of Plague: some believe these are associated with Shifters; they also dwell in the slums of cities, feeding on the poor and sick.[/sblock]Hope that stirs up some ideas.

mfrench

First Post
Lorthanoth:

What kind of Spirits does your shaman focus on? Nature, ancestors, or demons? Also, any ideas on race yet? I can try and sort out some more helpful tidbits for you once I know what direction you'd like to take him.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
[sblock=mfrench]
My current thought is a ronin oathblade who ended up killing his lord when he discovered that he was a changeling and was corrupting the family. As a result, he's being hunted by various family retainers, and so he headed West. I'm shooting for a chaotic good feel for this guy - although I know we aren't using alignment. In essence, he is a man who followed the code of Bushido, but when it came right down to it decided to do what he thought was right rather than follow his oathsworn loyalty. Currently, he'd be acting as a very ostentatious drunk and bad fighter to make sure no one takes him too seriously as he travels.
[/sblock]

Lorthanoth

Explorer
If it's alright, since we have a divine caster in the shugenja chappy, can I change to a wu-jen (I quite fancy being an elderly nutter who jumps about doing crazy magic)

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I have been looking are there any "small" races? I know Ebberon and OA have Halflings but you said nothing but humans from PHB. As a sneaky character I would like to have a small race but if not could I use Vanara. If not I guess I will just be human for the feat.

mfrench

First Post
Amazing Triangle: It looks like your best choices are Changeling or Korobokuru, but I don't have a problem with halflings. I wouldn't have an issue with playing a Korobokuru without any stat modifiers if that was your hang up.

Lorthanoth: an elderly nutter jumping about doing crazy magic? Alright, the best explanation: [sblock=Lorthanoth]Wu Jen magic is basically fueled by pacts with demons. One of the principle categories of demon in this world is true Chaos Demons, which can be quite crazy. So fluff-wise, I guess this is a crazy old guy who goes out in search of more powerful magics to swipe from these demons. Crunch-wise, he could be a Wu Jen from Complete Arcane. Pick a taboo (or a few!). I would suggest we change Watchful Spirit back to a familiar, who acts as a sort of guarantee of the pact that you made to get magic. The taboos are just conditions on the deal. Watchful Spirit is going to be harder to arbitrate on a PbP anyway, I don't care much for any re-roll abilities in this format. Other options are Warlock, or maybe Beguiler.[/sblock]

Nac Mac Feegle: That is good. Is that still in reference to the Swordsage?

Also, even though we aren't strictly going with alignment, feel free to use it to describe your character. Saying "He's LN" is much easier than saying "He feels that tradition should be respected even in the face of doing harm to others" or whatever. That can be filled in later.

Once more, with feeling:
Nac Mac Feegle: a Diamond Mind swordsage wandering demon-hunter
Lorthanoth: a crazy old Wu Jen
Amazing Triangle: A common trickster on the run from the law (a short rogue)
Bento: spirit folk Shugenja focused on water/rivers
DrZombie: a shifter monk with mystical tatooes
OnlytheStrong: a ninja after revenge

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
I'm just looking at ideas here. How would 'vow of poverty' work in E6? The additional thingies you get are mainly to even out on the 'boots of dex +12' magical goodies at higher level, but if you don't level past level six things would get a little unbalanced later on... Not that I care much crunchwize. Fluffwize, i'm happy to play a monk with vow of poverty.

Remove ads