An odd issue with ignore

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Recently and quite by accident I found out that someone has me on ignore and the way I found out seems to me to work against the spirit of how I think the ignore function should work.
What I believe should happen, is that, people that have a person on ignore disappear from that persons feed. One does not receive any indication that one is ignored.
So what happened was I was browsing on the Community page as is my wont and I spotted that a thread I was watching had a new post. I clicked on the thread and was taken to a blank page with no posts.
I though that, that was odd and reloaded the page. No posts. I backed out and the tread said n pages last post So&So
So I went to page n-1 and looked at the posts no So&So, I clicked on the next page and blank page. It then occurred to me that some one might have me on ignore and I logged out and went back the thread looked at page n and sure enough there was a post from So&So

This strikes me as contrary to the intent of the ignore system, I should have been sent to the last post I should have been allowed to see (the one on page n-1) and I would have never noticed.
I do not know if this is a bug or an oversight but I though it was worth mentioning and letting the site administration know. I hope this is the correct place to do it.

aco175

Legend
I just learned about that 'trick' myself a week ago or so. I was looking at post count numbers to see if I am missing on some of the conversation since a few times I see something quoted but do not recall reading it on previous pages. I think some may be quoted from another thread that the current one diverges from but now I find myself checking the thread count to see who may have me blocked.

I would like to think I do not care if someone has me blocked, but it does imply that I do if I am curious as to who may block me. I do not have anyone blocked myself, and find that blocking others ideas only blocks your learning. I can see that some people are hard to listen to on the 4th attempt though.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Its an option when you block someone, but most people take it. It can sometimes be confusing.
I believe it was the default setting when it was implemented. So people may not have even interacted with the settings at all - just blocked someone.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I believe it was the default setting when it was implemented. So people may not have even interacted with the settings at all - just blocked someone.

Entirely possible. Actually, it may still default to it; I don't recall noticing on either of the two people I have blocked.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I just had this happen. An old thread that made no sense...where are the posts? Then I figured it out.

But yes, reciprocal blocking can reveal you are being ignored.

And in this case from a long time ago, and just sort of sad. Actually, are there a bunch of other old timers ignoring me?

Do you see any posts from "Hong"?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I just had this happen. An old thread that made no sense...where are the posts? Then I figured it out.

But yes, reciprocal blocking can reveal you are being ignored.

And in this case from a long time ago, and just sort of sad. Actually, are there a bunch of other old timers ignoring me?

Do you see any posts from "Hong"?
No I do not recall seeing recent posts from Hong

Remove ads