Anger of Angels

busker

First Post
I am aware that the Satan references were added to Job later, but he has still been part of the story for hundreds of years. That certainly gives him more Old Testament credibilty than many of the other characters in Anger of Angels, which don't appear in the Bible anywhere despite being part of Christian (and especially Catholic) folklore. The Bible itself mentions very few angels by name.

Just trying to bring the subject back to the reviewed book before we get too off-topic with religion.

-busker

S'mon

Legend
LRathbun said:
I just want to clarify something. The Bible does not say that Satan is a sevant of God. He was good and a servant of God, but then he became evil and fell. So the above quote would not be true according to the Old Testament.

To reiterate, I am just trying to state what Christians believe, not call you an idiot if you don't agree.

I'm not sure how what's in (current versions of) the Old Testament relates to what (modern) Christian believe, but I'm sure it's Off Topic, and has more to do with the New Testament, anyway.

Not trying to be inflammatory - I simply think it's a reasonable analysis using (only) the PHB definitions of Good and Evil, that God as appearing in the Old Testament could be characterised as an overall-Neutral being with Good & Evil servants. Whereas I don't think PHB-Good beings would have Evil servants. YMMV

LuYangShih

First Post
Who cares about all that. The truly important question is, does the book explain why Angels are so damn randy? The Half-Celestial template can be applied to every corporeal creature in existence.

S'mon

Legend
LuYangShih said:
Who cares about all that. The truly important question is, does the book explain why Angels are so damn randy? The Half-Celestial template can be applied to every corporeal creature in existence.

So it should be Lust of Angels? :cool:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
S'mon said:
Uh, yeah, bibliographic analysis was not my point. I was just giving an example of a Neutral deity with both Good & Evil servants. The Old Testament God as He appears in the modern Christian Bible appears to fit that, in D&D terms.

I think this is still on-topic: the deity of the OT is, in my opinion, neither Good nor Evil. Those capitalized concepts came later. Back in Biblical times, morality was different... you didn't need to label an enemy Evil to justify genocide, them being "not us" was bad enough.

So, question: does the book deal with "amoral" or "unknowably moral" deities?

-- N

Remove ads