Animal Evolution - Epic Environment

Mr.Satan

First Post
While animals are still animals, I'd imagine for animals to compete in an epic environment, they would have to evolve. I set out to create an animal that evolved naturally. No magic, no psionics, no supernatural nonsense...just an animal. Using the v5 Challenge Rating Document I created this little horror.

If you're having trouble picturing it...just envision something that resembles the bastard child of Armadon from Primal Rage and a Fang Dragon...just smaller and more terrifying.

Although it possesses Frightful Presence, it is primarily used to send weaker prey scattering. This gives it more of an idea of what might make a tastier meal. The tougher it is...the more likely an armathrax is to want to eat it.

It's sound imitation ability is used primarily for mating purposes. They trick one another into believing there is some sort of prey in the area. Then...surprise [self-censored]. Their interactions with one another are often violent and sometimes even deadly.

Their HD is 8 as a result of their extreme density. I calculate HD based upon a natural creature's weight using Krusty's size charts.

I also didn't use the Silver or Golden rules.

<style type="text/css">p { margin-bott</style>Armathrax
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 8d8+248 (288 hp)
Initiative: +26 (+22 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft., burrow 30 ft, climb 60 ft., swim 60 ft.
Armor Class: 49 (+22 Dex, +17 natural), touch 32, flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+31
Attack: Bite +31 melee (4d8+25/18-20 (x3 plus sharpness))
Full Attack: Bite +31 melee (4d8+25/18-20 (x3 plus sharpness)) or horns +31 melee (4d8+25), 2 claws +29 melee (2d8+12/18-20 (x3 plus sharpness)), and tail slap +29 melee (8d6+12) or tail blades +29 melee (8d6+12/18-20 (x3 plus sharpness))
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tail slap or tail blades)
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, constrict (8d6+25), improved grab, pounce, powerful charge (8d8+50), rake (2d8+12/18-20 (x3 plus sharpness)), sharpness, stunning roar, trip
Special Qualities: Blindsight 300 ft., damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 5, frightful presence, immunities, increased damage, lowlight vision, powerful build, resistances, scent, sound imitation, spines (4d6), stability, tremorsense 60 ft., virtual size categories 3
Saves: Fort +28, Ref +37, Will +3
Abilities: Str 60, Dex 54, Con 72, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +30, Climb +33, Hide +26, Jump +33, Listen +12, Move Silently +26, Search +13, Spot +12, Swim +33
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 24
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: +29

Armathrax are dense, powerful, semi-bipedal, slenderly muscular, carnivorous, reptilian creatures.

Armathrax are capable of standing upright, possess opposable thumbs, and can mimic sounds or even speech.

The average armathrax is 6 ft. in length (not including it's 12 ft. tail) and weighs 6,720 pounds.

Combat

Augmented Critical (Ex): An armathrax's bite, claws, and tail blades threaten a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage and severing a random extremity (see the armathrax's Sharpness special attack) on a successful critical hit.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A armathrax can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the armathrax attacks, charges, roars, or snarls. Creatures within a radius of 30 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the armathrax. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 14) remains immune to that armathrax's frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Armathrax ignore the frightful presence of other armathrax.

Immunities (Ex): An armathrax is immune to disease and poison.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, an armathrax must hit with a bite, claw, or tail slap attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake (bite or claw attack) or constrict (tail slap attack).

Increased Damage (Ex): Because of their sharp claws, fangs, horns, scales, spines, and tail blades; armathrax deal damage as if they were one size category larger. This ability does stack with the armathrax's virtual size categories. However, it does not enable the armathrax to use attack forms normally not allowed to a creature of it's size.

Pounce (Ex): If an armathrax charges or leaps upon a foe during it's first round of combat, it can make a full attack even if it has already taken a move action.

Powerful Build (Ex): The physical stature of an armathrax lets it function in many ways as if it were one size category larger. Whenever an armathrax is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the armathrax is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to it. An armathrax is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect it. An armathrax can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, it's space and reach remain those of a creature of it's actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of abilities, powers, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Resistances: An armathrax has the following resistances:

- Energy Resistance (Ex): An armathrax has acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic resistance 5.

- Extremity Loss Resistance (Ex): An armathrax's thick bony carapace protects it's extremities and provides resistance from effects that could normally sever them, such as a sharpness weapon. When an armathrax would otherwise lose an extremity, it instead makes a fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 HD of attacker + attacker’s Strength modifier). On a failed save, the armathrax's extremity leaves it's body normally, but on a successful save, the armathrax is unaffected by the severing. An armathrax dies when beheaded.

Sharpness (Ex): An armathrax that critically hits with a target with a bite, claw, or tail blades attack severs one of the target's extremities. Roll a d10 to determine the severed extremity: D10 result: 1-2: Head, 3-4: Left arm, 5-6: Right arm, 7-8: Left leg, 9-10: Right leg.

Sound Imitation (Ex): An armathrax can mimic any voice or sound it has heard, anytime it likes. Listeners must succeed on a Will save (DC 14) to detect the ruse. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Spines (Ex): An armathrax is covered with sharp, thorn-like spines. An opponent that hits it with a natural weapon or an unarmed attack automatically takes 4d6 points of piercing damage.

Stability (Ex): A armathrax gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

Stunning Roar (Ex): Every 1d4 rounds, an armathrax can loose a sonic attack of such volume that it stuns all creatures in a 30-foot spread for 1d4 rounds if they fail a fortitude saving throw (DC 45). The DC is Constitution-based.

Trip (Ex): An armathrax that hits with a bite, claw, tail slap, or tail blades attack can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the armathrax.

Skills: Armathrax have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. Armathrax have a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Listen, Jump, Search, and Spot checks. An armathrax can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. An armathrax has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Last edited:

Belzamus

First Post
There is no way this thing is CR 40. Minus the inflated DCs, it's about 25, I'd say.

Really, though, its HD are just out of alignment for an epic threat. 1 Blasphemy, and it dies.

Mr.Satan

First Post
There is no way this thing is CR 40. Minus the inflated DCs, it's about 25, I'd say.

I did say I wasn't using the silver or golden rule, so you're right. It is about 25 if you apply the golden rule. I could easily see it being a terror for a fighter or rogue of the appropriate levels.

Really, though, its HD are just out of alignment for an epic threat. 1 Blasphemy, and it dies.

I never did like that Blasphemy allows no save. Seemed a bit overpowered to me. It's still an epic threat for most non-clerics. Spellcasters in general are kinda munchkin in design. A simple solution to that though is to apply a template that grants SR.

In a lost world campaign with little-to-no magic or psionics it would be a terror. I could even see the rise of magic and psionics being the cause of their extinction...much like science is killing our world of today.

Belzamus

First Post
Not really.

A party of 2 40th level fighters, and 2 40th level rogues, built using only Core and the IH: A, would easily defeat this thing.

Its AC and HP are low, so it'll be easy to drop, and its to hit is lower enough to be an auto-miss at that level.

Worse, in a low-magic setting, a character could trade their equipment bonus for feats, ability score boosts, and divine abilities (if you allowed it), making them even more of a treat.

I mean, think about it. A 40th level fighter is pretty much inconceivably better than the best warrior you and I can imagine. He's not even remotely human. Being a basic animal just doesn't work at this level.

Look at Gargillain, the Macrobe Human with 3036 HD. More HD than a Time Lord, and yet, with no Cosmic or higher abilities, he may as well have 3 HD for all the good he'll be in a fight.

Don't get me wrong, though, it's a cool creature, and if it works for your game, then go for it. I'm just throwing my opinion out there based on what I've observed at these levels of play.

Now, if you were to send a pack of these things against an ECL 30 group... :devil:

Mr.Satan

First Post
CR and LA for the Armathrax now has the Golden rule applied (see above).

And now for a little treat for those that are fond of sinister evils.

Acolytes are intended to represent one of the three primary evil races...demons, daemons, or devils. Their powers are subtle, rather than overt, as their primary purpose is to corrupt and deceive.

They typically use their Alter Reality ability sparingly as casting wish drains experience points.

<style type="text/css">p { margin-bottom: 0.0</style>Fiend, Acolyte (Attendant)

[Description]

Creating an Acolyte

“Acolyte” or “Attendant” is an acquired template that can be added to any evil- aligned creature (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”).

The acolyte uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except, as noted here.

Size and Type: The base creature's type (unless it is Construct or Undead) changes to Outsider. The base creature also gains the Demon (if chaotic evil), Daemon (if neutral evil), or Devil (if lawful evil) subtype, as well as any perspective alignment subtypes. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: An acolyte has maximum hit points.

Speed: The base creature's speed doubles.

Armor Class: An acolyte retains the armor bonuses of the base creature and gains the following:

- Deflection Bonus (Ex): An acolyte gains a deflection bonus equal to it's Charisma modifier.

- Insight Bonus (Ex): An acolyte gains an insight bonus equal to it's Wisdom modifier.

Special Attacks: An acolyte retains the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following:

- Alter Reality (Su): An acolyte can use wish at will as a swift action. An acolyte can also combine Automatic Metamagic Capacity epic feats (to increase the effective level of the wish for greater results). Additionally it can use Alter Reality to give itself a circumstance bonus on all dice rolls equal to 9 + the number of Automatic Metamagic Capacity feats it possesses. But it loses this circumstance bonus any round it use the Alter Reality for any other purpose. Caster Level = Hit Dice. The save DC is Charisma-based.

- Postcognition (Su) : An acolyte can see into a being's past and learn it's history. The target must make a Will save or have their entire history become known to the acolyte. If the save fails, the GM should reveal any pertinent (written) facts about the individual’s history. An acolyte can attempt to discern an individual’s history any number of times, but each time they successfully save against the acolyte's prying they gain a cumulative +10 circumstance bonus for their next save. The save DC is Charisma-based.

- Silver Tongue (Su) Anyone who hears an acolyte's voice must make a Will save or be charmed (as if by a charm monster spell). Use of this ability represents a swift action. Caster Level = Hit Dice. The save DC is Charisma-based.

- Spell-like Abilities: At will - blasphemy, create undead, desecrate, dispel good, divine favor, prayer, unholy blight; 3/day - greater planar ally (nalfeshnee (if chaotic evil), nycadaemon (if neutral evil), or gelugon (if lawful evil)); 1/week - contingent resurrection. Caster Level = Hit Dice. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Special Qualities: An acolyte retains the special qualities of the base creature and gains the following:

- Damage Reduction (Su): An acolyte gains damage reduction equal to half it's Hit Dice (round down; 5 = minimum). If the acolyte has 20 total Hit Dice or less then the damage reduction will be DR x/aligned [chaotic (if lawful) or lawful (if chaotic)] and magic or x/aligned [good] and magic. If the acolyte has greater than 20 total Hit Dice then the damage reduction will be DR x/aligned [chaotic (if lawful) or lawful (if chaotic)] and epic or x/aligned [good] and epic.

(i.e. A 10 Hit Dice chaotic evil acolyte gains DR x/good or lawful; and magic, allowing aligned (good or lawful) magic weapons to bypass it's damage reduction.)

- Spell Resistance (Su): An acolytes gains spell resistance equal to 10 + it's Hit Dice.

Saves: An acolyte gains a profane bonus to it's saves equal to it's Charisma modifier.

Abilities: An acolyte gains +18 Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +10 (with no equipment), or +15 (with 22 levels of equipment).

Alignment: Any evil.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +15 (with no equipment), or +22 (with 22 levels of equipment).

Last edited:

Hey guys! :)

Great idea Mr Satan.

When I started reading I was just thinking about the character Doomsday (that killed Superman) which is some hyper-evolved animal killing machine.

Or even Karnivore (& The Ani-men) created by the High Evolutionary (from Marvel Comics).

Maybe in place of tech/progress levels, we could have evolutionary levels or somesuch.

Mr.Satan

First Post
Excellent idea. I wonder what other evolved critters we could come up with. I'd like to see more. They'd make wonderful base creatures for deities akin to GREAT OLD ONES. Many of them were evolved species that became akin to gods themselves.

Would it be possible for certain Supernatural or even Spell-Like abilities to be EXtraordinary in nature, SUpernatural, or SPell-like?

For example. Charm Monster via a Spore Cloud as an Extraordinary ability?

Hello again! :)

Mr.Satan said:
Excellent idea. I wonder what other evolved critters we could come up with. I'd like to see more. They'd make wonderful base creatures for deities akin to GREAT OLD ONES. Many of them were evolved species that became akin to gods themselves.

I think what we need to do is first have some sort of evolutionary ladder that we can use as a chart or guideline. As noted before, the tech/progress levels are perhaps our best guide.

I know that in the comics when they went from Animal to evolved creature, the Ani-men became Humanoids (with animal characteristics) slightly more powerful (physically - though probably dependant upon animal type).

Animen (New Men, Scarlet Spider foes)
New Immortals (Thor foes)

One specific subject (originally called Man-Beast and later Karnivor) was hyper evolved and was super strong and psionic and able to project force fields and so forth.

http://marvel.com/universe/Man-Beast
Man-Beast (New Men; Adam Warlock, Thor, High Evolutionary foe)

Would it be possible for certain Supernatural or even Spell-Like abilities to be EXtraordinary in nature, SUpernatural, or SPell-like?

For example. Charm Monster via a Spore Cloud as an Extraordinary ability?

I don't see why not.

Ahoy there Mr. Satan! :)

Mr.Satan said:
*wonders what such a system (evolutionary levels) might entail*

Well I think for that I would just use the Kardashev Scale.

1. Plant
2. Animal
3. Primitive
4. Human Level of Consciousness
5. Advanced Human (Mutant?)...Type I
6. Highly Advanced (Superhero?)...Type II...Force Users?
7. ...Type III...
8. ...Type IV...Xeelee/Time Lord (Doctor Who)
9. ...Type V...Q?

Remove ads