• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animate Object Spell, anyone seen it used well

Lord Vangarel

First Post
During last nights game the cleric pc in the group wanted to use the 6th level clerical spell Animate Object. After having a read of the spell as it has never been used before and a quick group discussion the player decided that the spell didn't really warrant 6th level and it would probably never get used.

Anyone seen any good uses for this spell?

Sanackranib

First Post
animated objects

works really well on the old 1e flying daggers. like yourself I think its overpowered as a lev 6 spell and think it should start at lev 3-4 then have more powerfull variations capable of animating larger items.

Gotta love those flying daggers! :cool:

IMC they always get a Gargantuan object (or objects that add up to that), based on the summoning article in Dragon.

A 6th-level summoning spell should summon a CR 8-9 creature, but use a weaker creature if summoning takes only a standard action, it's immune to banishment or magic circle against x, and has lots of hp. The objects have hardness, so I treated it as having lots of hp. Having said that, a Gargantuan Animated Object might be a bit more than CR 7.

You can break the spell if you put no limits on it. All you need is a 64-foot long steel chain...

Sanackranib

First Post
huge stuff

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
IMC they always get a Gargantuan object (or objects that add up to that), based on the summoning article in Dragon.

A 6th-level summoning spell should summon a CR 8-9 creature, but use a weaker creature if summoning takes only a standard action, it's immune to banishment or magic circle against x, and has lots of hp. The objects have hardness, so I treated it as having lots of hp. Having said that, a Gargantuan Animated Object might be a bit more than CR 7.

You can break the spell if you put no limits on it. All you need is a 64-foot long steel chain...

this spell should never be permited to relpace or surpass a golem of any sort. considering the feats/spells and signifigant time and gold required for golem creation.

Delemental

First Post
Re: huge stuff

Sanackranib said:
this spell should never be permited to relpace or surpass a golem of any sort. considering the feats/spells and signifigant time and gold required for golem creation.

But the effects of this spell are temporary, as opposed to a permanent golem, and you also don't get any special abilities with an animated object (DR, magic immunities, etc). I don't see how you could ever surpass a golem with an animated object.

Sanackranib

First Post
surpassing

even a temporary gargantuan object could in theory defeat a golem. I say in theory because I haven't yet put it to the test in a game.

I didn't say you should break it. I've used it, and I've never actually carried around a 64-foot long chain to abuse it.

Anyway, Summon Monster VII can beat a golem (celestial dire bears!), so why not Animate Object?

Remove ads