Anita Blake d20?

Doc_Souark

Explorer
About half way though NiCs I was wondering if Ms. Hamilton was hitting the leather bars doing "research" too much myself. Not that it's a BAD thing......

PenguinKing

First Post
Hey, these things happen all the time. The author starts to view the protagonist as his/her "personal avatar", and suddenly that character is getting laid perhaps more often than is strictly healthy given the circumstances.

It's traditional. ;)

ascendance

First Post
While Anita Blake may have some Mary Sue elements, I think the reason why the slut factor's gone up is because fans and editors have demanded it.

Black Omega

First Post
Well, a few things here. I'm really not sure about Anita Black d20. I'm not convinced d20 could handle something like this without a ton of work. But I'm highly skeptical of d20 in anything other than fantasy and SW d20 just seemed to prove this to me.:)

I've already run a Anita Blake campaign using Hero System 4th Ed rules and it went just fine. No one started as a shifter or vampire for rather obvious reasons, instead they were humans, sometimes with special gifts, all attached to a university center of praeter natural studies. Ironically, the players came up with their characters without talking to each other and we ended up with three professors out of a six player group. One 'reporter' who was alot more. One licensed Vampire executioner. Oh..wait..-four- professors. Onw who was also a witch, one who knew alot and has some minor psychic powers, one who was just a professor and one who was a tombraider type Indiana Jones professor. The LKH world setting is excellent, very well suited to certain types of horror games. Whenever the Rokugan game I'm running takes a break, this is what I'd like to return to, probably using 5th ed Hero System.

I have -so- many notes left over from this game I never got to...:)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I thought the 1st and 2nd book were ok, but I dropped out even before the slut factor appeared I guess. i get bored with massive power inflation characters. She was interesting when she was just ordinary necromancer, decent fighter lady, she got lame when she was superhuman strength, super mage, deadliest fighter in the world only gets challenged when she fights vampires so old they are not even homo sapiens they are probably even before neanderthals lady. Also the supposed master combatant vampire big game hnter guy never really lived up to his billing even for a book called Anita Blake Vampire hunter.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Personally I love the books. Yes they do get sexual explisit, but I enjoy the other aspects. The characters, the world and how scary the supernatural beings tend to be.

As for what game would work best... While I don't know the system well I would have to say I think the Witchcraft RPG would be able to handle it fairly well.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I've only read the first one. I havent been able to find them in French or Spanish editions, so I've asked for them at Amazon.com. I've bought only the first and second book. I finished the first some weeks ago and I'm planning begin the next one when I finish the second 'Hawk & Fisher' book.

The first book is great. The whole concept of legal vampires and other critters is IMHO original and well done, and the monsters are scary. I think it could do a good d20 Modern or even d20 Spycraft game.

Black Omega

First Post
The world is excellent and would support all types of games. From something standard like in the books to something university based, or archeological or even espionage. Obsidian Butterfly has a few good suggestions on how the cIA could use a necromancer.;)

The power inflation has gotten a little annoying but really only seemed to get out of control in the most recent novel, Narcisius in Chains. Unfortunately this went hand in hand with the human side of Anita's life more or less disappearing, often with no explanation. That's part of why I like Edward so much. He's the only normal human in the series who is a continuing character and can fight the monsters.:)

Wyndborne said:
sooo if an Anita fan was able to get a rpg published would you buy it?

Probably. I'm not sure I'd ever enjoy running the game, though. I mean, the game would start out really cool, with fighting the monsters and using butt-kicking abilities, but then eventually the campaign would just kind of degenerate into an orgy.

Remove ads