Anita Blake d20?

domino

First Post
Sir Brennen said:
And speaking of repetative, how many pages to we need dedicated to elaborate detail of what the character is deciding to wear and how she's going to accessorize with her guns and knives?
Which is why one of the changes that people would need to make is to drop any encumbrance penalties for weapons.

afreed

First Post
Alzrius said:
But Hamilton's books have a Ravenloft-like feel to them; you can't truly win against the monsters, and the more you fight them, the more you start to become like them.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but Hamilton actually wrote a Ravenloft novel (Death of a Darklord) early in her career. There's apparently also an interview with her in the D&D 30th Anniversary book, though I haven't read it.

(Less characteristically, she also wrote a Star Trek novel early on.)

I don't see the need for an Anita Blake RPG, honestly. There are enough modern-day supernatural games out there already (d20 Modern, World of Darkness, Witchcraft, Buffy / Angel), any of which could do the job. I have a tough time imagining there being enough unique rules or setting elements in a Blake RPG to make it distinct from all the others.

I suppose focusing on the sex magic aspects might set the game apart, but it would have to be brilliantly done.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Probably what you would do is make a set of feats, prestige classes, monsters and optional rules, plus some campaign background material (legalization of monsters, etc.) to make one of the other modern supernatural games fit the novels. The early novels sound like what people like best.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
afreed said:
I don't know if you're aware of this, but Hamilton actually wrote a Ravenloft novel (Death of a Darklord) early in her career.

I wasn't aware, possibly because that's the single worst Ravenloft novel ever, so I may have blocked it out. Seriously though, thanks for the reminder! According to the blurb in the back, it came out just after Circus of the Damned (which I believe was supposed to be the end to what was to be a trilogy...she just kept then making more books).

There's apparently also an interview with her in the D&D 30th Anniversary book, though I haven't read it.

I haven't either. I keep meaning to get that book.

Ace

Adventurer
afreed said:
I don't know if you're aware of this, but Hamilton actually wrote a Ravenloft novel (Death of a Darklord) early in her career. There's apparently also an interview with her in the D&D 30th Anniversary book, though I haven't read it.

It doesn't surprise me. The AB novels reek of gamer --

I always call AB "little miss template abuse" -- starts as Vampire Executioner/Animator adds Lupa, Free Vampire Serveant and Necromancer -- toss in the boyfriends GMNPC -- Edward and you have Anita Blake

Ghostwind

First Post
Wyndborne said:
sooo if an Anita fan was able to get a rpg published would you buy it?

I talked to the people behind the books about having an RPG company do a fully licensed game. They weren't the least bit interested and were actually highly protective about the thought that the characters might even be used in an RPG.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Ghostwind said:
I talked to the people behind the books about having an RPG company do a fully licensed game. They weren't the least bit interested and were actually highly protective about the thought that the characters might even be used in an RPG.

As in "cease and desist" kind of protective? If someone were to have a fansite devoted to roleplaying in the AB universe, say. Not that anyone in the thread seems about to go start one- I'm just trying to gauge their reaction.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ghostwind said:

Any idea why? I know I'm obviously biased, but I can't see why anyone wouldn't want their work done as an RPG game. It seems like a cool way to let the fans enjoy your work in a new format, and you'd get some kind of licensing on the deal.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
While Anita Blake may have some Mary Sue elements, I think the reason why the slut factor's gone up is because fans and editors have demanded it.

I've heard this theory, but everyone I've talked to who has read the books (myself and my wife included) things she's taken the sex too far and wishes she'd get back to the vampire hunting and preternatural crime investigation.

I knew Ms. Hamilton was a gamer from the moment that I read in one of her earlier books that a character must've made his/her will save.

JediSoth

Clueless

Webmonkey
ascendance said:
While Anita Blake may have some Mary Sue elements, I think the reason why the slut factor's gone up is because fans and editors have demanded it.
Mm... there's a divorce in there somewhere too that probably has something to do with it. A good number of the fans have been asking her to cut back and bring the plot back in.

Remove ads