Anita Blake d20?

Ghostwind

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
As in "cease and desist" kind of protective? If someone were to have a fansite devoted to roleplaying in the AB universe, say. Not that anyone in the thread seems about to go start one- I'm just trying to gauge their reaction.

I don't think a fansite would even blip on their radar. The impression I got was more a matter of larger things, such as something that would make money.

Ghostwind

First Post
Alzrius said:
Any idea why? I know I'm obviously biased, but I can't see why anyone wouldn't want their work done as an RPG game. It seems like a cool way to let the fans enjoy your work in a new format, and you'd get some kind of licensing on the deal.

Honestly, I think it's more a matter of no guarantees of X dollars in sales. Licensed RPGs of literary works don't tend to sell well in the larger scheme of publishing. To put this in perspective, if an RPG sells 10,000 copies it is a runaway hit whereas a hit in the book business is 100,000+ copies. What the games industry considers a hit is a failure in the eyes of the book publishing industry. When I was talking to LKH's firm, it really felt like they didn't want to risk watering down the brand when dealing with something with so few sales and overall revenue.

JoeGKushner

First Post
JediSoth said:
I've heard this theory, but everyone I've talked to who has read the books (myself and my wife included) things she's taken the sex too far and wishes she'd get back to the vampire hunting and preternatural crime investigation.

I knew Ms. Hamilton was a gamer from the moment that I read in one of her earlier books that a character must've made his/her will save.

JediSoth

Not quite a me too post but... my mother, a huge horror fan, who loves King, Lovecraft, Stoker, and some others (Sonja Blue author?), feels that it's getting downright silly and the the author needs to move on or move out. But hey, perhaps she'll take the character to X-rated status and move on from there.

Remove ads