• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Bull Rush question

Psimancer

First Post
If a character were to Bull Rush an enemy 20 ft. into a wall, would (or should) any damage ensue? Maybe treat as falling? I.e. 1d6 damage per 10 ft.

Last edited:

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Here's how I'm looking at this. Someone much bigger than me (which seems like the most probable way to begin this) starts running at me, in a gymnasium, let's say. I try to get out of the way, but he's too fast and too big, and all I can do is back peddle. He ends up smashing me into the wall.

I'd rule that the wall "hits" me as a bludgeoning weapon dealing 1d6 damage, plus the Strength modifier of the attacker. If the attacker had some feat that allowed for extra damage from a charge, I'd probably give it to him. Actually, I might let the attacker roll for a hit as he smashes me into the wall (on the grounds that the way that he smashes me could matter). If he rolls a 20, I'd let him try to confirm it, because, after all, I could hit my head or neck into that wall, which would deal more damage.

Dave

MichaelH

First Post
Psimancer said:
If a character were to Bull Rush an enemy 20 ft. into a wall, would (or should) any damage ensue? Maybe treat as falling? I.e. 1d6 damage per 10 ft.
I agree with the "no damage" posts. The maneuver is just not that lethal. At most, it might do 1d3 nonlethal, same as a normal punch.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Hypersmurf said:
"Why should that make such a - OOF! - difference?"

-Hyp.

"You use different moves fighting a crowd than you do just one person."

As to the original question, I'd probably go with (for no good "Rules" reason) 1d6+1/5ft moved in Subdual damage. I seldom see Bull Rush used unless there is a chance to knock somebody off a cliff or into a river or some such. So I wouldn't mind seeing somebody take this sub-optimal action more frequently. The bit of damage would be a good incentive.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Rel said:
I seldom see Bull Rush used unless there is a chance to knock somebody off a cliff or into a river or some such. So I wouldn't mind seeing somebody take this sub-optimal action more frequently. The bit of damage would be a good incentive.
I agree. Anything I can do to convince people to do more cinematic stuff in combat is good.

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads