• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another one bites the dust...

Occasionally I'll find little gems, on Netflix or Prime, that simply don't show up in the regular feed. It's usually something that I've wanted to watch for some time but never thought to search for, but shows up in the "also watched" or whatever it is, right after I've watched another movie. Annoying that they don't get sorted to the top of my preferences, based on viewing activity. Prime is particularly annoying, with their algorithm, because what it sorts to the top is invariably a list of what I just watched.

Amazon Prime Video is just inexplicable in so many ways. Maybe the worst UI in streaming, and the way it mixes rentals with free-to-subscriber content, until you hit the right toggles, is maddening. Even then, if you search for a movie (using a browser) you're backing out into a more general Amazon search, which, again, is terrible terrible design.

But again, if one was to actually try to go with a single service for all streaming consumption (a pretty grim prospect right now) I think HBO Max blows Amazon Prime Video and Netflix away.

Ryujin

Legend
Amazon Prime Video is just inexplicable in so many ways. Maybe the worst UI in streaming, and the way it mixes rentals with free-to-subscriber content, until you hit the right toggles, is maddening. Even then, if you search for a movie (using a browser) you're backing out into a more general Amazon search, which, again, is terrible terrible design.

But again, if one was to actually try to go with a single service for all streaming consumption (a pretty grim prospect right now) I think HBO Max blows Amazon Prime Video and Netflix away.
It's not just the "for rent" stuff that appears with the free content, by default, but also other entire related streaming services. And, when you do a search for something, you can end up finding both pay-for and included versions of the same programme in the results, right next to each other. It's maddening.

And, of course, I just started watching it.
so, it's your fault!

I think the junk part is user/viewer dependent personally. I've never had any issues with finding a particular show or movie that I've wanted to watch. What i do wish is that some of the older game shows were available stuff along the lines of Blockbusters. (Do you know this Ryu?) lol

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
so, it's your fault!

I think the junk part is user/viewer dependent personally. I've never had any issues with finding a particular show or movie that I've wanted to watch. What i do wish is that some of the older game shows were available stuff along the lines of Block buster.
Manifest had a good run, and might be saved. These "extraordinary phenomena" series are a dime a dozen and if they make it past a single season thats a win.

Manifest had a good run, and might be saved. These "extraordinary phenomena" series are a dime a dozen and if they make it past a single season thats a win.
The last two mystery style series i got to liking were both on fox and so were canceled after one season with a cliff hangers >_<

Sithlord

Adventurer
Yep, I saw the writing on the wall when CBS came out with Star Trek: Discovery, only the first episode of which they aired on CBS and the rest of the series you had to join their streaming service to see. I had a feeling if enough people jumped on the streaming service that was going to be the wave of the future...and now here we are.

I'm definitely in the category of people not watching shows they'd normally watch because they don't want to pay for a streaming service. Heck, I've seen every one of the MCU movies but I haven't seen WandaVision or Falcon and Winter Soldier or now Loki. And I've only seen Daredevil, Punisher, and season one of Jessica Jones because I found them on DVD. (If I'm going to pay money for them, I want to own them after the purchase.)

Johnathan

i understand and agree with everything except the part of watching tv shows you wouldn’t normally watch. Why not just do something else. Unless it’s Just so tired you feel like a zombie and just need to zone out. I can understand that.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
well manifest just got the ax despite being number one on netflix

Yeah, but it isn't a Netflix show. And being #1 there when Netflix doesn't have any of its own heavy-hitters at bat isn't saying much.

NBC needed it to be doing well on its own network, not on a separate streaming service, and it really wasn't doing well.

Yeah, but it isn't a Netflix show. And being #1 there when Netflix doesn't have any of its own heavy-hitters at bat isn't saying much.

NBC needed it to be doing well on its own network, not on a separate streaming service, and it really wasn't doing well.

Plus that kind of show is inherently expensive. When it works, those production values and occasional VFX are part of the appeal, but it's one of the reasons SF series are always such a gamble, and so uncommon (compared to yet another cop show).

It's not just the "for rent" stuff that appears with the free content, by default, but also other entire related streaming services. And, when you do a search for something, you can end up finding both pay-for and included versions of the same programme in the results, right next to each other. It's maddening.

Ugh, right. I used to think that was Amazon being cute, and trying to rope you into subscribing to other services through them. But now I just think it's terrible UI/product design. Because Prime Video lives on the back of the larger Amazon interface and catalog, it's just ungainly.

Remove ads