• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another one bites the dust...

Ryujin

Legend
When cbs started with their streaming service, I dropped them completely. I was paying for Netflix and at that time Hulu was free. Now, it is only Amazon prime and no netflix, no hulu and no cbs. definately no dizz-knee or paramont.
Lately I've been binging a lot of old series, and i do mean old, on Tubi. No charge and the odd commercial, but no big deal. I did a little time warp, back to my childhood, and rewatched all of the old "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons" shows. Might start on the (2008?) remake soon, just to see what they did to it.

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Through Amazon, I have watched several shows of my younger years. most recently was Fringe, recent meaning 'younger, but not much younger years'. I missed a lot the f irst time.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I don't object to streaming services in principal, but I'm not going to subscribe to a dozen, either. We have Amazon Prime as a side effect of the shipping benefits, and there's a high enough density of worthwhile material on D+ to justify that one, but that's it. We have more TV than we find time to watch as is. If the "subscribe and binge, then drop" process stops working, well, the CBS shows we like are just going to have to be something we do without.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
CBS is desperate it seems to push its streaming service. So much money wasted on certain shows it seems.

I don't think it is about "money wasted on certain shows". I think it is more simple than that: Basic Cable TV is probably no longer a winning business model.

And, I'm about to drop my cable service altogether. With the same funds, I can subscribe to a bunch of streaming services.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While that might work for some, the tastes of the 3 people in this household are divergent enough that it doesn’t seem cost effective to cover all the bases. We’ll see…

right now I'm currently subbed to D+ and i have amazon prime (with free prime shipping) due to low cost since i'm on disability, but i'll sub to netflix next month so i can catch up on a couple of shows. That's how i finished watching Gotham.

Dire Bare

Legend
Just saw an ad for Evil season 2, set to start streaming June 2021. If you haven’t seen it, it’s essentially a well-done reskinning of X-Files, with the Catholic church replacing the F.B.I.

According to this site, Evil (along with Clarice and SEAL Team) will not be returning to CBS. Instead, they’re going to be on Paramount+ only.

So, it looks like I’m losing more shows from my list. But I heartily recommend Evil to anyone signed up for Paramount +.
I don't mind paying for Paramount+ . . . when the next season of nu-Trek debuts, Discovery or Picard. I'll catch Evil Season 2 at the same time. I've learned to cycle my streaming services . . . pay for Netflix for a couple of months, and then swap it out for Disney+, then later another swap for Paramount+ . . . .

Evil Season 1 is on Netflix right now, they might get Season 2 even if it premieres on Paramount+, we'll see.

I'm spending less on TV then I would with a cable package, and I have plenty to watch. I just have to put a little more effort into managing my subscriptions then just paying the cable bill each month.

Dire Bare

Legend
This is the ala carte TV folks have been asking for.
Heh. I used to work for DirecTV customer service, and this was one of our scripted responses to folks complaining about paying for TV packages that included channels they didn't want. Turns out it was true!! :)

"If we allowed a la carte purchases, everything would be more expensive! Bundling channels saves you money!"

It was true, in a way, but . . . . the vast majority of all those channels in my cable/satellite packages I never watched. Tons of absolute crap TV.

I much prefer the new paradigm of competing streaming services. There's never a contract, so I can add or drop services whenever I want . . . and it's so easy just to log onto a website and start up or cancel a service, I never have to call cable/satellite customer service again! (or answer those calls) I try to keep myself to one streaming service at a time, but even when I pump it up to two or even three simultaneously, I'm saving money over what cable/satellite charged for all that crap TV I never watched.

I have a luddite buddy who refuses to pay for any streaming services . . . he'll never know the joy of The Mandalorian, Loki, and all of the other amazing shows exclusive to these streaming services. He works hard to find these shows on DVD at the local library . . . and many do eventually show up there, but it's so much hassle to track them down and wait for your turn to come up. But it makes him stubbornly proud, and he's got more patience than I do . . .

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
While that might work for some, the tastes of the 3 people in this household are divergent enough that it doesn’t seem cost effective to cover all the bases. We’ll see…
This is where I am at. I like television series, movies, news, sports. Yeah I could sub up one at a time, but I like having all those options when the mood strikes. I also get a discount on my internet service for having basic cable + HBO. I have tried cutting the cord many times and it would cost me more to do so. Guess Im in that rare bucket that doesn't get by just on Disney stuff.

Remove ads