• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another one bites the dust...

Dire Bare

Legend
Your pal sounds a lot like me.

Hell…we HAVE Prime, and have only used it for shopping.
Amazon is evil corporate empire personified, but . . . they've got some good original programming that's part of your Prime subscription! Plus, a rotation of other movies and TV shows from other studios. Check it out!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While that might work for some, the tastes of the 3 people in this household are divergent enough that it doesn’t seem cost effective to cover all the bases. We’ll see…

In my house, we probably haven't watched anything actually on cable in... six months or more? When we did, we were time-shifting everything with a DVR.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Cable never got a lot of market penetration here in Australia. Never seemed worth the price to me (and presumably most of my fellow countryfolk.)

Switching from free to air TV to streaming seems a bit of a no-brainer to me. That being said - I've only got Netflix and an Australian service called Stan. There's also ABC and SBS (think like the BBC) that have free streaming of their shows that I can dip into any time. I do sometimes watch Disney+ at my sister- and brother-in-law's place. That's more TV then I can get around to easily.

well manifest just got the ax despite being number one on netflix, hopefully someone will pick it up so they can finish all six seasons as it was originally planed

These Streaming Services are mostly horrible

Amazon-handful of shows that are very good but interface and search not great

Netflix-Handful of good shows with lots of clunkers and when it comes to renewals/cancellations you are given very little. Very good interface but sometimes a new show doesn't always show on the front page. I watched a movie last night it was top 7 movie on Netflix (hell from below or something like that). I couldn't find what the top other movies where as their top 7 movie wasn't the same as top 10 on netflix

Disney-great library of old movies and limited new content

Hulu-not a great interface. for me its handmaidens tale. Mostly bad movie and other tv shows

Pluto-Just awful search function. I started going here for classic who and other classic shows. really bad all round

It feels like we are in a stange time for streaming /cable. Cable is an old dinosaur but in many ways still superior to a lot of junk streaming services

Yep, I saw the writing on the wall when CBS came out with Star Trek: Discovery, only the first episode of which they aired on CBS and the rest of the series you had to join their streaming service to see. I had a feeling if enough people jumped on the streaming service that was going to be the wave of the future...and now here we are.

I'm definitely in the category of people not watching shows they'd normally watch because they don't want to pay for a streaming service. Heck, I've seen every one of the MCU movies but I haven't seen WandaVision or Falcon and Winter Soldier or now Loki. And I've only seen Daredevil, Punisher, and season one of Jessica Jones because I found them on DVD. (If I'm going to pay money for them, I want to own them after the purchase.)

Johnathan

I think in CBS’s case the idea was to build an audience of younger viewers who could not only support a new streaming service (since they all know it’s the future) and also to avoid the brand drag that CBS can have. It’s not a “cool” network, by any means, and its overall audience skews older. They get huge numbers, obviously, including lots of young folks, but carving out a new, side identity is a thing now. And look at what they started with for exclusives. Discovery and The Good Fight.

Not saying it’s a good idea, necessarily, but I think the name-shift to Paramount+ is an extension of that. Sometimes running away from your own brand is intentional.

These Streaming Services are mostly horrible

Amazon-handful of shows that are very good but interface and search not great

Netflix-Handful of good shows with lots of clunkers and when it comes to renewals/cancellations you are given very little. Very good interface but sometimes a new show doesn't always show on the front page. I watched a movie last night it was top 7 movie on Netflix (hell from below or something like that). I couldn't find what the top other movies where as their top 7 movie wasn't the same as top 10 on netflix

Disney-great library of old movies and limited new content

Hulu-not a great interface. for me its handmaidens tale. Mostly bad movie and other tv shows

Pluto-Just awful search function. I started going here for classic who and other classic shows. really bad all round

It feels like we are in a stange time for streaming /cable. Cable is an old dinosaur but in many ways still superior to a lot of junk streaming services

Totally agree about the mediocre streaming catalogs. Only exception, to me, is HBO Max. They have some really great older movies, way better than what was available through standard HBO or HBO Now.

Ryujin

Legend
Totally agree about the mediocre streaming catalogs. Only exception, to me, is HBO Max. They have some really great older movies, way better than what was available through standard HBO or HBO Now.
Occasionally I'll find little gems, on Netflix or Prime, that simply don't show up in the regular feed. It's usually something that I've wanted to watch for some time but never thought to search for, but shows up in the "also watched" or whatever it is, right after I've watched another movie. Annoying that they don't get sorted to the top of my preferences, based on viewing activity. Prime is particularly annoying, with their algorithm, because what it sorts to the top is invariably a list of what I just watched.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think in CBS’s case the idea was to build an audience of younger viewers who could not only support a new streaming service (since they all know it’s the future) and also to avoid the brand drag that CBS can have. It’s not a “cool” network, by any means, and its overall audience skews older. They get huge numbers, obviously, including lots of young folks, but carving out a new, side identity is a thing now. And look at what they started with for exclusives. Discovery and The Good Fight.

Not saying it’s a good idea, necessarily, but I think the name-shift to Paramount+ is an extension of that. Sometimes running away from your own brand is intentional.
The change to Paramount+ I thinks is supposed to say "hey we got movies too, its not just NCIS and Rockford Files up in here..."

Remove ads