• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another probably basic question...

Pazu

First Post
I was originally going to post this in the "underpowered half-elves" thread, but it seemed like that thread drifted a bit...

Anyway: Having recently read Races of the Wild, I noticed that there were a few feats that had "Elf" listed as a prerequisite. My question is, does the half-elf's "Elven blood" racial ability allow him/her access to such feats? (The text of the "Elven blood" ability seems a bit unclear.)

Thanks again,
Pazu

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Pazu said:
(The text of the "Elven blood" ability seems a bit unclear.)
Gah, I hate the "<Racial> blood" abilities. They're so vague. I don't know of anything that specifically use them either. Half-Orcs get it too. Does it ever come in handy? No. They don't even get Weapon Familiarity. *shakes head*

ThirdWizard

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Gah, I hate the "<Racial> blood" abilities. They're so vague. I don't know of anything that specifically use them either. Half-Orcs get it too. Does it ever come in handy? No. They don't even get Weapon Familiarity. *shakes head*

Half-orcs do get the wonderful ability for dwarves to get bonuses against them. :D

JimAde

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
They do in my game. :)

I also have a bunch of race-specific magic items floating around. In the history of my world the goblins and orcs once had a huge empire in the campaign area complete with advanced arcane magic. They didn't want their magic items working for the pinks, though. All this is secret and nobody chose to play a half-orc... *sigh*

Jdvn1

ThirdWizard said:
Half-orcs do get the wonderful ability for dwarves to get bonuses against them. :D
Greaaat. ;) I'm sure they're ecstatic about it too.

Jdvn1

JimAde said:

I also have a bunch of race-specific magic items floating around. In the history of my world the goblins and orcs once had a huge empire in the campaign area complete with advanced arcane magic. They didn't want their magic items working for the pinks, though. All this is secret and nobody chose to play a half-orc... *sigh*
Well, yes. Barring house rules. I tend to really like house rules to help out half-orcs, but RAW seems silly in that regard to me. RAW, half-orc might be more powerful without that ability.

ThirdWizard

First Post
JimAde said:

They're probably best used if you want to tailor the item to a specific PC. For example, if you put a sword in some treasure, then it will probably go to the fighter type, but say you want this sword to be for the elven ranger who took bow feats. If the fighter is, say, human, you can make the sword only work for those with elvan blood and it will go to that character.

Of course, this means your PCs typically never run into an item that is made for a race that they don't represent... ;)

Pazu

First Post
Cool; thanks for the replies!

So the big question: Does having access to these feats mean that the half-elf isn't underpowered after all? :p

Remove ads