• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

another rpg industry doomsday article (merged: all 3 "Mishler Rant" threads)

darjr

I crit!
Oil?
AK-47's?

:D

Uh.. Oil is a very bad example of a static industry. Just look at the oil sands boom in Canada and the folks looking to drill in the deep ocean or the fluctuating price that one day makes a previously closed unprofitable well a gold mine, and then suddenly less than worthless as examples of the ever changing nature of the Oil industry.

Edit: actually let me restate that, Oil isn't a good example of a static industry. Maybe not a 'very bad' one.

darjr

I crit!
As far as GURPS goes, I'm a fan, but I'm not sure GURPS is as healthy as it once was. I remember when they were releasing 6-8 supplements a year or so and the amount of stuff coming out has really dwindled over this decade. I think they were the victim of the d20 glut--as more d20 games got popular they suffered. I'm disapppointed because I loved GURPS, but wish they'd make more supplements.

Thanks for pointing out who he is. I know, but was still a bit fuzzy.

As far as GURPS output, they are actually quite prolific in the PDF arena. The e23 has quite a few new releases from them. Ironically it seems to be a growing model for them.

malkav666

First Post
Mishler is known in the industry, even if many fans don't know him by name. He's a member of the "cabal", my code word for the game designers who made the "secret mailing list". So I doubt this was any sort of deliberate trolling--he was simply answering somebody's honest questions and he got

Nah this is the same Mishler that gave us this....
GameStyle.PNG

And I remember the article and where he placed all the systems he liked and where he placed newer systems. I can dig up some links (I know the RPG.net links are still there) about it. But it was a nasty bit that has been removed from his blog.

I am just not really interested in this guy telling me "how it is" or "how it is going to be". I disagree with many of his opinions, and most of facts are either incorrect or poorly presented, or in some cases just his own opinions being stated as facts.

I get it. He is into older D&D and the games derived from them. Newer D&D's (and the games derived from them and players) are false, "doing it wrong", and/or destroying the hobby for this reason or that, depending on weekday and whats being talked about on the interwebs. I think if you throw in some post dissection and name calling, that sums up the blog series nicely.

love,

malkav

wedgeski

Adventurer
I am just not really interested in this guy telling me "how it is" or "how it is going to be". I disagree with many of his opinions, and most of facts are either incorrect or poorly presented, or in some cases just his own opinions being stated as facts.
It's his blog. Honestly what do you expect? He didn't ask to get quoted lock-stock-and-barrel on ENW.

malkav666

First Post
It's his blog. Honestly what do you expect? He didn't ask to get quoted lock-stock-and-barrel on ENW.

If he did not want to get quoted, then it should have been a private document. As it stands he posted in a format viewable to all, which leads me to believe that the intent was to share it. The information wants to be free ;)

And I am OK with him placing his opinions on his blog. I don't read his blog, but I do read ENW (which is where I found the article). All I am saying is that this guy has a history of flame(ish) postings, and I can't help but wonder if getting quoted on ENW is not exactly what the guy intended.

But I withdraw. I am not going to debate about some grogblog. the guy obviously has some strong feelings on newer systems. I don't like 4e either, but the difference, is that I don't think it is systemic of/or a portent of an industry problem. I think it is just a matter of taste. (obviously, you could insert any system into that statement right where 4e is for me).

love,

malkav

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Erik,

I am curious, did you come across the augmented reality (AR) meme like I did from Square Mans' blog (link) or is this something that you and/or Paizo have been thinking about for awhile?

If that wasn't the entry point for you, where did you first come across the AR meme.

My art director, James Davis, showed me some YouTube video about the time they were pimping the new Metal Gear game for the PS3, so it's been on my radar for a while.

--Erik

Remove ads