• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another spell question - Prismatic Ray from CA

Ranger5

First Post
When I read the description it seems like it only affects a 6HD or less creature. Now don't get me wrong I realize that the spell is kind of powerful but only affecting a single 6HD creature and the spell is 5th level!! Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
My reading is that the Blindness only affects <=6HD creatures. The other effects happen regardless of HD.

In general, it looks a good deal too random to be my cup of tea, but you can get some good effects out of it. (All of the effects except 20hp fire compare reasonably well to a maximized scorching ray at level 9 and 10; at level 11+ the maximized scorching ray is better than all of the damage effects but it still doesn't have the save or die consequences of the other 62.5% of the spell).

Corsair

First Post
That would be the correct reading. Compare it to Prismatic Spray (Evoc 7).

The downside I have with it is that its completely ineffective against my our primary enemies in one game (devils). Immune to fire and poison, and I'm not too certain that an insane devil is any more useful than a sane one. :)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Not to mention, good saves, SR, and acid resistance. It seems somewhat comparable to Flaming Sphere--good for a few levels, but falling off in usefulness after that.

And against devils, I'd take Force Orb any day of the week. (Or electric orb).

Corsair said:
The downside I have with it is that its completely ineffective against my our primary enemies in one game (devils). Immune to fire and poison, and I'm not too certain that an insane devil is any more useful than a sane one. :)

Ranger5

First Post
Thanks all for the respones. That is what I thought about the blindness affecting 6HD or less and the other effect affecting everyone. But the way it is worded you could make an arguement either way.

Jack Simth

First Post
Corsair said:
That would be the correct reading. Compare it to Prismatic Spray (Evoc 7).

For a lone devil, there's a 50% chance that it will try to attack the party (Attack Nearest: 30%; Attack Caster: 10%; Act Normally: 10%), a 50% chance that it will do nothing or run (Babble incoherently: 30%; Run away at top possible speed: 20%); for a group of devils, there's a 20% chance that it will try to hurt the party, an 80% chance of it doing nothing, running, or attacking it's compatriouts. Still pretty useful.

Remove ads