Another take on the Necromancer class

TheLordWinter

First Post
The anti-undead clause is both flavour and a safe guard so that you cannot gain an infinite number of surges via your Shadow Summoning. Theoretically you could summon the shadow, lose a few HPs, steal surges from it and then regain the HPs, then wash-rinse-repeat. At least one of the paragon paths will allow faster summoning of the shadow familiar and more familiars, so this could become abusive.

Plus the life is coming from somewhere in the basic healing ability, it's just a much more direct transfer - either your life to another or their life to you. This was intentional, particularly to allow the party to retain mobility with a necromancer as the only leader. If the life transference required both targets to be adjacent to the necromancer, it would keep the party very tightly formed and also very vulnerable to enemy artillery attacks.

evilgenius8000

First Post
Perhaps it's just me, but the abilities really scream "Shadow power source" to me. Otherwise, it's a great class and quite close to what I was planning on doing with the necromancer (Shadow leader).

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Perhaps it's just me, but the abilities really scream "Shadow power source" to me. Otherwise, it's a great class and quite close to what I was planning on doing with the necromancer (Shadow leader).

I would agree, EG, if WotC had already set pen to paper defining exactly what the Shadow source is and what it is capable of doing. Right now, even with the barbarian playtest out, I'm loathe to tempt fate even with our interpretations of the Primal power source, let alone Shadow, Psionic, or Elemental.

CrimsonHawk

First Post
Point taken. I guess it is hard to say what will differentiate the different power sources in the end...

That having been said, though, I don't blame you at all for liking it for what it is. And if the Shadow source does indeed turn out to be what everyone and their Great Uncle Sally are assuming it will be, this will make a perfect Shadow leader.

For now, though, it makes a fantastic Arcane leader for those who do not want to play an artificer or one of the plethora of bards out there.

TheLordWinter

First Post
Thank you for the compliments. As for the reasons I didn't make this a shadow-sourced class, as stated we don't really know what it does yet and I wanted my necromancer to stand out a bit. The necromancers of previous editions, while always depicted as somewhat different, still had to follow the same rules as other wizards. I wanted to try and tap into that and show that the Necromancer is almost like a wizard, but he's gone farther than others and it's marked him as somehow different. He's crossed the lines that other wizards know there is no coming back from.

eleventh

First Post
I would second the shadow power source comment. But firstly, I like it! One thing I had in mind, though, was a change to "Manipulate Life". It seems a bit out of place in comparison to the other class feature healing actions:

Healing Word - an ally spends a healing surge and regains hit points
Inspiring Word - an ally spends a healing surge and regains hit points
Lay on Hands - you spend a healing surge and an ally regains hit points

All three of these are minor actions, are usable a certain number of times per encounter, are guaranteed to work, and take healing surges away from your party. Your ability is a minor action and is usable a certain number of times per encounter - check. But it is not guaranteed to work; you have to land an attack on an enemy. Also, it takes healing surges away from your enemies (although monsters don't really use this mechanic in my experience). I have an idea to keep with the same theme, which I like, but to reconcile these two differences.

I thought it would be interesting to make this ability a reversal of or shadow to the paladin's "lay on hands" ability. In essence, the ability would allow you to take a healing surge from any willing ally and grant hit points to any other ally. This would be guaranteed (no attack necessary) and would stick with the themes of sacrifice and redistribution of health that your necromancer class seems predicated upon. It might also be cool to base the number of times it is usable per day on some secondary ability (such as charisma or wisdom).

Blood Pact
At-Will (Special) <> Shadow, Healing
Special: You can use this power a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), but only once per round.
Minor Action, Melee touch
Target: One willing ally
Effect: The target spends a healing surge but gains no hit points. Instead, a different ally you can see regains hit points as though (s)he had spent a healing surge. The target must have at least one healing surge remaining for you to use this power.

TheLordWinter

First Post
But it is not guaranteed to work; you have to land an attack on an enemy. Also, it takes healing surges away from your enemies (although monsters don't really use this mechanic in my experience).

It's been stated that enemies have a number of healing surges which scale with their tier, you can find that on page 7 of the Monster Manual. They have one surge per tier, but most monsters have no way to spend their healing surges. I'll admit that will be of limited detriment to most monsters, however it does work.

The part you're missing though is that you only need to make an attack roll against an unwilling target. Your (presumably) willing allies will let you use the power on them, and in turn you may either spend one of their healing surges to heal yourself or spend one of your healing surges to heal them.

The ability to use this type of healing offensively (healing yourself at the cost of an enemy's surges) is a different take on the healing mechanic than we've seen with other leaders. It also is a risky way to use the ability since it can only heal the necromancer herself, you must be within melee range and you must land the successful attack roll. However that was meant to be almost a secondary usage for the ability - the primary use remains being within melee range of allies and spending your surges to heal them or vice-versa.

Edit: In addition, in reference to the Shadow Power Source, it hasn't officially been released yet. I am also trying to make this necromancer harken back to the sort of classic necromancer archetype we've seen in previous editions of the game - which has meant a wizard who delves too deeply into life and death. This take on the necromancer is based around the study of arcane mysteries and secrets, which may seem similar to the shadow power source, yet I feel stands apart from it since the necromancer isn't drawing his power directly from the Shadowfell but rather his studies and own willpower.

Last edited:

saric

First Post
Edit: In addition, in reference to the Shadow Power Source, it hasn't officially been released yet. I am also trying to make this necromancer harken back to the sort of classic necromancer archetype we've seen in previous editions of the game - which has meant a wizard who delves too deeply into life and death. This take on the necromancer is based around the study of arcane mysteries and secrets, which may seem similar to the shadow power source, yet I feel stands apart from it since the necromancer isn't drawing his power directly from the Shadowfell but rather his studies and own willpower.

Actually in the phb it details the other power sources, check out the phb page 54

"Future power sources include elemental, ki, primal, psionic, and shadow."

TheLordWinter

First Post
Actually in the phb it details the other power sources, check out the phb page 54

"Future power sources include elemental, ki, primal, psionic, and shadow."

I must say that I don't think that really counts as detailing them. However if you'll look at the description provided for the arcane power source on that page, which goes into where the power comes from, it is pretty much exactly what I had in mind for the class. It's a different flavor of arcane caster, whose power comes from intensive study and research.

Remove ads