Anthony Valterra breaks his silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Hello Mr. Anthony Valterra-

Just a few points and a question.

First, no gaming book has universal use. The three main books, the “Player’s Handbook,” the “Dungeon Masters Guide” and the “Monster Manual,” are the only three essential books, assuming it is a D&D game. Therefore, for example, not every one uses the “Secret College of Necromancy” or the “Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings,” even though those are well-written and useful books. Asserting that a book must be used by everyone is a specious assertion deliberately meant to cloud the real issues.

Secondly, sexuality has figured in games in the past (a statement made from personal experience: one of my player characters, with the assistance of another player character, ran a brothel between adventures), from DM’s winging it to people using the net-book of “Carnal Knowledge.”

Thirdly, the book will likely be a commercial success based solely on the sexual content and the controversy (such things sell like hot cakes).

Fourth, it will not damage the hobby or industry. What with the war on terrorism, the economy and other issues, people have better things to do with their time than kill D&D over a sex book. Nor is the fact that it is sexual in nature overwhelmingly damning. White Wolf has outright published material on necrophilia. If the hobby and industry can handle horny, sadomasochistic vampires then it can handle (pardon the expression) elf cleavage.

Now, for the question. Evening considering the above four points, how much actual active tabletop game use do you think this book will get?

At the risk of being blunt, (and admittedly without seeing the book) it seems likely it will get the same use as an issue of Hustler or a book of Kevin Taylor art. That is to say, personal and private use.

It simply seems unlikely that this book will find anything like the game use of even “Secret College of Necromancy” let alone the “Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings.”

Even in the game with the brothel (which the GM disliked as he was uptight and wanted to run a mostly clerics and paladins game but humored Ian and I with the house of ill repute) the sexuality took place “off stage,” so to speak. Seduction rolls were sometimes made, and two characters were quite active (proactive even), but the discussions were never graphic. At one point, a husband a wife joined the group and their characters were also sexually active – but again, the discussions were never graphic.

If you are actually aiming to broaden the horizons of gamers and to make them confront personal hypocrisy, you will probably be disappointed.

By comparison, Madonna has spent two decades doing that and while her work is a commercial success, she is widely despised.

Sullivan

Stormprince

First Post
Actually, one of my big curiosities about this book, as it was on the BoVD when it was first announced, was on how it was going to deal with such topics as homosexuality and the like. If it's going to be covered, or if it's going to be demonized. And I'm not just talking about gay warrior societies, but also such things as lesbian cultures (Amazon, the Island of Lesbos...oh jeez, why do I have a feeling that I'm opening a can of worms here),

Looking at the images of the photographers website, it's obvious that the focus is going to be on "scantily/barely clad" women...so I'm already getting a rather skewed image of the artwork consisting almost 100% of scantily clad women...which limits the target audience of the book. Granted, that target audience is the largest percentage of gamers in the industry, but now a days, with more and more female and openly gay gamers, where's the love for the other sides? ;)

Christopher

seasong said:
The press release... I don't want to hurt the author's feelings, but it was bad. I didn't find it particularly controversial, just bad. I reviewed it in another thread, but here are the high lights:

1. The opening sentence is passive voice*.
2. All women discussed in the press release are objects; the only actor is Conan, who is famous for treating women like objects.
3. All women in the press release are fey. Already, this is sounding damned narrow.
4. Valar Project, Inc., is not even close to the first company to take on the subject of sex in the world of elves and dragons.
5. "In 2003 all the curiosity about sex in the realms of fantasy will be satisfied." 'Nuff said - this is just bad.
6. Hyped images... sorry, a calendar is cheaper; and photoshopped images are all over the Internet.
7. The tip sheet: Doesn't even mention Gwen. That's cold, man.
8. The tip sheet: Doesn't seem relevant.

* Passive voice has a purpose. It is grammatically correct, and very useful on occasion. The wham statement is not one of them. Most writers use passive voice when they try to avoid personal responsibility for the text, lack comfort with the subject, or write scholarly acadamese.

As a side note: Personally, I did not find that the artist's web site to be a good selling point. In general, unless the artist is well known and beloved to the community you are selling it to, this sort of inclusion in the ad copy is risky... especially if you don't even MENTION the authors. Good grief.

So, anyway, I apologize if this post is pretty negative. I was really turned off by the press release. If I wanted what the press release was selling, I would buy a calendar.

Actually, this is a pretty good critique - and I'm the author. Do you mind if I use it? I'm planning on ripping the press release apart in an article on the Valar site.

AV

Re: Very offended, but still 100% IMO

Wolv0rine said:
Okay, okay. Up until a few minutes ago I thought this was just so much seriously overblown hype over a titilation sex-themed book. Fairly silly, not to be taken seriously, and cute to smile about in a bemused fashion because of the knee-jerk reaction it makes.

But I just followed the link to Mr. Safford's website, and my mind is entirely changed.

In my personal opinion, it is sick and wrong to use that individual's work in any corner of the gaming field if it bears even the faintest whiff of the thematic elements found on his webpage. And if his work in the BoEF does not bear a thematic similarity to the work on his page, then it was irresponsible of you to have included that link. That soars past "Adult" without so much as a glance, and flies right on into twisted and disturbed.

Many may feel I'm being too harsh. To those I say, I've been typing this response now for the better part of an hour and a half, I have written it and re-written it over a dozen times now, each time reigning myself in more, and this is what I have left. Go and view the photographer's website (if you are at LEAST 18, and have not eaten recently) and form your own conclusion.

My opinion? The book doesn't *sound* to have anything offensive textually in the least, and it amazes me that anyone who doesn't think their 12 year old will be getting 6 copies might think so. On the other hand, if the work provided by Mr. Safford in the book is even vaguely thematically similar to the work on his own site -- not only would I never consider buying it, I wouldn't game with anyone who had. Based solely on that webpage.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their artistic opinion. Many people feel the same way about Robert Maplethorpe's photography - espeacially some of his S/M homoerotic art. Personally I love Maplethorpe and I think Safford's work is great as well. I didn't look at his images for the disturbing elements (which I am fine with) I looked at his photography for its use of light and shadows and interesting angles. I liked what I saw alot and that's why I approached him. As to the photos in the BoEF and their relationship to the photos on Doug's site well... I'll let time be the judge.

AV

p.s. I am glad that you posted your opinion in terms of Safford's art and not as a judgement on the man himself. It is easy to equate the artist with the art which is not always the case. Monte Cook wrote the Book of Vile Darkness and he is as fine an individual as you could care to meet.

caudor

Adventurer
My question isn't so much about book. It appears to me that you are a busy busy person.

Do you ever get a chance now days just to sit down with a game and have some fun?

Anyway, I hope you do have opportunities to enjoy the non-business side of gaming now and then.

Regards,
The Clooownn

kenjib said:

Hello Anthony and thank you for taking the time to discuss this openly with us. I really appreciate it.

1. Was this emphasis on the controversial aspects an intentional attempt to stir up free publicity by representing (only implicitly of course) the product as something more than it is? If so, was it done because of the possible beneficial effect this same type of marketting (whether intentional or not) had on sales of the Book of Vile Darkness?

2. I've seen a reference, I think on Andy Collins' board, to more variety in the body types of the models, but I don't clearly recall. Is the goal of the artwork to represent a more realistic image of men's and women's bodies or will it take a more idealized approach (some might say cheesecake/beefcake)?

3. Your press release states that "Valar Project, Inc. will be the first company to take on the subject of sex in the world of elves and
dragons." How does this relate to others such as Mongoose's book, Nymphology?

4. Will the overall art direction style be more edgy or traditional? Lots of black leather and buckles? Chainmail bikinis?

Good luck on your new venture and thanks again for your time!

-Kenji

1) That was the intention and BoVD is my model on alot of the things I am doing PR and marketing wise. Once again I am rethinking that strategy.
2) Some of all of that. There will be some hard bodies and their will be some variety. We just did a shoot of a very voluptious "peasant girl". We really wanted to find someone who had an "earthy, big germanic, farm girl kind of look" I think we succeeded. Some of the images will not be sexy in any capacity. We have a Goblin fertility goddess that is just... scary. Some will be sexy and disturbing such as our Pleasure Golem construct. There will be a good mix of images.
3) It probably should have said - "dealing exclusively with" and "published".
4) We are striving to have as wide a vareity as possible and lean more towards the gritty/realistic/dirty look of the LoTR movies. But that said props are not easy to come by. We are being as creative as we can.

AV

mythusmage said:
Hi Tony, a few questions for you:

1. Will the BoEF include naked undead vampire elf babes with spikey bits?:p

With the silliness out of the way...

2. To what degree will the book deal with rape, abuse, and other forms of sexual predation?

3. Will the book deal with pregnancy termination, both induced and spontaneous?

4. Will sex laws be dealt with?

5. Sexual customs?

6. How will STDs be addressed?

7. Medical and magical treatments for same?

8. What about sexually related spells, paranormal abilities, and magical devices?

9. Sex in fertility festivals, holidays, and worship?

More as I think of them.

1) mmmmmmm... naked vampire elves with spiky bits...
2) NOT AT ALL!!! It is our position that those activites are violence not sex. We already have a ton of rules for violence.
3) Yes.
4) yes.
5) Yes.
6) Think magical STDs... We got some goodies...
7) Yes.
8) Yes.
9) Some but alot of that might be saved for a Campaign Setting but we cover gods so it will get touched on.

AV

blackshirt5

First Post
Valterra-Looking forward to this book, hope that it's worth the hype. Also, looking forward to the "voluptuous peasant girl".;)

shadow said:
I have a question for AV.

You said in the press release that you helped found an occultic church (Church of the Blood Red Moon, if I remember correctly). What exactly is it, and how is it relevant to the Book of Erotic Fantasy? Is it somehow related to Tantricism(sp?)?

DING, DING, DING... We have a winner!!! What is everyone elee trying to be polite! Shadow you are the first person to ask - thank-you.

In 1992(?) I founded an occult church in Portland Oregon. It's original idea was to be a non-dogmatic church. I used a library (since that is where I was working at the time) as a metaphor. The idea was simple - you strive to progress down the path of realization (however you defined that). The church helped you, record you progress, and provided any help you needed. In return the church would keep a record of your pilgrimage to inspire/educate/give ideas to other seekers. Our first ritual raised enough money (thanks to the help of a stripper friend of mine) to cover our legal expenses. Participation was surpisingly high and I began getting phone calls from interested individuals. We had a number of people working a sex magic path and others working more traditional ritual paths. I learned a great deal.
Unfortunately it rapidly devolved into a cult. It was a stunning (to me) series of events. One day the whole thing had high ideals - the next thing I knew people were looking to me as some sort of spiritual leader. It all happened in about a year. I shut it down when I saw where it was going. It was easily the most spectacular event in my spiritual path.
Because this is Enworld I think I will leave more details about my spiritual questing to the Valar site. Please feel free to ask me more details there.

AV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads