• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any Good Form Fillable + Savable Character Sheets?

Psyga315

Explorer
So, I got the character sheet from WOTC and filled it out with Adobe Reader X, but it wouldn't allow me to save after I had filled it out, no matter what I do, which made me upset.

Can anyone tell me where to find a good Form Fillable and Savable Character Sheet?

Psyga315

Explorer
I tried another PDF, but the problem is the same. I tried to save it and it told me it can only save a blank copy.

At this rate, I might as well give up using PDFs and go for Word or Excel sheets. I know they're primitive as hell, but hey, they actually let you save the data you put in.

Tormyr

Hero
I tried another PDF, but the problem is the same. I tried to save it and it told me it can only save a blank copy.

At this rate, I might as well give up using PDFs and go for Word or Excel sheets. I know they're primitive as hell, but hey, they actually let you save the data you put in.
The pdfs can have their data saved. The problem lies with your program or "you are doing it wrong." TM

My laptop has Adobe Standard, but when I get home I can check Acrobat on my home computer to see if it works. I get the WotC version of character sheets emailed to me by my players, but I don't know which program they are using.

Do you need to be able to edit it again later? If not, you can "print" the file as a new pdf.

Last edited:

Amheirchion

Villager
I found that with the fillable PDF's from WOTC, I could Save As, and save it with a new file name, useful for putting the character name in the file name, but if I updated that PDF later I had to save it under another new name as it wouldn't let me overwrite the old one.

Dausuul

Legend
Your problem is Adobe Reader, not anything to do with the particular .PDFs. Adobe Reader won't let you fill out a form and save it. Reason #5,274 to hate Adobe.

I dug around online and found some free third-party gadget that lets me fill out .PDF forms. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and the gadget is on my home computer, but I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it. Google for PDF-XChange Viewer, by Tracker Software. The free version will do what you need.

Last edited:

Psyga315

Explorer
The pdfs can have their data saved. The problem lies with your program or "you are doing it wrong." TM

My laptop has Adobe Standard, but when I get home I can check Acrobat on my home computer to see if it works. I get the WotC version of character sheets emailed to me by my players, but I don't know which program they are using.

Do you need to be able to edit it again later? If not you can "print" the file as a new pdf.

I can print it as a XLS, if that's what you mean.

Tormyr

Hero
I can print it as a XLS, if that's what you mean.
No, various programs such as PrimoPDF and Adobe Standard install a "printer" that you can print any document to and get a pdf as the result. It is useful for emailing Office documents you don't want people modifying, etc.

I think these people have answers for you though.
I found that with the fillable PDF's from WOTC, I could Save As, and save it with a new file name, useful for putting the character name in the file name, but if I updated that PDF later I had to save it under another new name as it wouldn't let me overwrite the old one.
If saving as a different file name does not work. Their are other PDF programs out their.
Your problem is Adobe Reader, not anything to do with the particular .PDFs. Adobe Reader won't let you fill out a form and save it. Reason #5,274 to hate Adobe.

I dug around online and found some free third-party gadget that lets me fill out .PDF forms. Unfortunately I'm at work right now and the gadget is on my home computer, but I'll see if I can find it.

I changed the default WotC pdf to allow saving of form-filled PDFs. Doing this restricts other permissions for Reader users, though. So it might night be an improvement.

View attachment Character Sheet - Form Fillable.pdf

Remove ads