D&D 5E Any Great 5e One-Offs people would reccomend?

Staccat0

First Post
I unexpectedly have a pretty "high profile" rpg session coming up for my podcast and I am woefully unprepared. I was wondering if there were any great one off adventures yet I could use rather than trying to cook somehting up last minute.

This would be for people who have never really played before.

delericho

Legend
I'm not sure there are any 5e one-shot adventures! Certainly, WotC's published adventures don't fit the bill, and I think even the third-party stuff is aimed at multiple sessions.

You might try taking a chapter out of "Lost Mine" and running with that, or perhaps one of the intro scenarios from PotA (I haven't got to that yet, so can't comment on quality). Or perhaps you could snag something from the Adventurer's League, perhaps (again, you'll need someone else to make a recommendation).

Beyond that, your options seem two-fold: either homebrew (which shouldn't be too bad), or convert. Perhaps one of the Free RPG adventures, from WotC or Paizo or someone else, might suit? ("We be Goblins" is great, but then you'd need to convert the pre-gen PCs too.)

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
I have been running 1st edition adventures, simply using the statblocks from the MM instead of the module, and converting traps on the fly via DCs and the Perception and Investigation skills. It is working out really well. Perhaps a blast from the past for the podcast? If they are new players, you might not even need to make it super detailed in conversion.

We have played C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and I3 Pharaoh, good times.

Kyn@BattleBards

First Post
I have been running 1st edition adventures, simply using the statblocks from the MM instead of the module, and converting traps on the fly via DCs and the Perception and Investigation skills. It is working out really well. Perhaps a blast from the past for the podcast? If they are new players, you might not even need to make it super detailed in conversion.

I didn't realize conversions were that easy for the original adventures. I'll also need to check these out. Are there any other caveats to be aware of when using these with the 5e system?

swordnut

First Post
I wrote a couple of system-less one-shot games that fit onto a few playing cards. I ran "kiss save santa" this xmas and it worked really well with some thugs, cultists an evil mage and a pteryon stat blocks, reskinned.

The file linked below is oddly formatted as its supposed to be printed double-sided, but can be printed normally as well.
It also has a generic dungeon crawl type thing called "conyers caves"

http://bit.ly/1Gd3B1I

And the video explaning:

[video=youtube;5f1AJ9P0X7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f1AJ9P0X7k[/video]

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
A couple of one-shots:

Barrow of the Evensong: Can you figure out the riddle at the heart of the barrow and help Gambol the Blink Dog get back to Arborea?

The Snow Job: Anyone daring and lucky enough to successfully pull off this heist would make themselves rich and powerful and would be counted among the greatest of thieves in history...

Both of these can be played in less than 4 hours. The Snow Job comes with pre-generated characters as well for quick play.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would also recommend using one of the adventures from Ch. 6 of PotA.

This is the newest product from WotC so would be good for showing off what 5e is about to an audience.

They are for 1st to 3rd level characters and there are a few to choose from.

Remove ads