any have any good tips how to do hunting

Shiroiken

Legend
If the hunt is integral to the story, the easiest way to do this is with a series of checks during travel. Player will have to choose their speed and actions, with at least one person needing to track. Throw a few false trails and threats in the way to spice it up, and you have an interesting encounter.

If the hunt is just for food, I'd just use survival as noted in the DMG.

Bawylie

A very OK person
I guess I’d need to know if the hunt is it’s own separate activity - like an adventure, or if it’s an incidental activity during play (like, we need some meat or pelts or something so we’ll hunt for a bit).

If it can be resolved in a die roll or less, it should. If you’re looking for more, it needs to be written up as a side trek or it’s own adventure.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If it is a hex crawl and survival-themed game where hunting can easily become part of the encounters, I use a mix of encounter tables, skill checks, and perhaps combat. The encounter table will tell me what is in the hex. But instead of rolling for a random encounter, I'm using it to tell me what creatures are likely to be encountered. In a survival based game, I may have a separate flora and fauna list to go with different environs/hexes so I don't muddy up random-encounter tables.

The player needs to tell me what they are hunting for and how they are doing it. They may need to make a survival check to find a tracks to track or a path to set a trap or tree-stand at. They may need to make a stealth roll to avoid spooking the animal. For large game that are found, there would be a combat to see if they can hit it before it gets away.

My rules are not codified. I call for checks based on character's declared actions and apply RAW the best I can based on my own moderate experience hunting and fishing.

Now, if this is an activity that party wants to do while travelling and the travel is not integral to the plot. I typically ask each player to tell me how they are contributing to the success of the travel. One party member may be scouting ahead looking for danger, another may be hunting and foraging for food, and so forth. Each player makes three rolls for their character using skills applicable to how they are contributing to the travel's success. 3 successes = better than average success (a bounty of game, no rations need to be used, maybe kills that bring in high value furs, etc.). 2 success = expected results (for hunting/gathering enough food is found that the party only uses half the rations they brought). 1 success = negative result (no game found, party must rely entirely on rations, or perhaps the hunter was ambushed by peryton when he was field dressing a kill, which you can play out as a combat, or just narrate average damage of one attack).

Remove ads