D&D 5E Any interest in a PbP Out of the Abyss (players or DMs)?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION] No, quite the opposite - there is _nothing_ bad about the Bard. On top of that, it is arguably one of the strongest 5e classes (historically, it's been a sub-par class and subject of much ridicule trope-wise).

[MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION] No, quite the opposite - there is _nothing_ bad about the Bard. On top of that, it is arguably one of the strongest 5e classes (historically, it's been a sub-par class and subject of much ridicule trope-wise).

It always irritated me a little bit that, in certain groups (not all, I am certain) the most charismatic character is typically chastised. Poor bard. Noone questions the Wizard's expertise, but your years of schooling has been reduced to causing a table full of people to sigh and say "Oh, boy, he's singing....again."

Zansy

Explorer
I wouldn't consider playing it if it was still a fifth wheel. I think If given the chance, I could make a "tier 3" out of it, to use a dated term.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
[MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION] Again, you're missing the point. Bard is likely comparable to "tier 1" now - MAYBE "tier 2".

Once you get to 3rd, you can choose to go down one of two paths - Lorebard, which allows you to poach spells from any class (and often earlier than said class gets it themselves), or Skald, which makes you a fighter in medium armor and shield.

Half-Elf + Bard = You Win All The Things. :)

Zansy

Explorer
[MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION] Again, you're missing the point. Bard is likely comparable to "tier 1" now - MAYBE "tier 2".

Once you get to 3rd, you can choose to go down one of two paths - Lorebard, which allows you to poach spells from any class (and often earlier than said class gets it themselves), or Skald, which makes you a fighter in medium armor and shield.

Half-Elf + Bard = You Win All The Things. :)

Are you saying I can't just *not* optimize? If I took lore, for instance, does that mean I have to take spells that are universally OP?
No. Because There could be lots of spells that are not strictly OP that could cater to what I want out of my bard better. You are expressing your concerns, and they are legitimate based on what you are telling me, but it's unfair to glare at me like a cheese munchkin before I even DID anything.

Are you saying I can't just *not* optimize? If I took lore, for instance, does that mean I have to take spells that are universally OP?
No. Because There could be lots of spells that are not strictly OP that could cater to what I want out of my bard better. You are expressing your concerns, and they are legitimate based on what you are telling me, but it's unfair to glare at me like a cheese munchkin before I even DID anything.

Based on Herobizkit's earlier statement that they prefer playing Bards, I believe they are more celebrating that the bard is (from a mechanics standpoint) finally in a position to stand "with the big boys", vs. being stuck in that 5th wheel position.

Zansy

Explorer
Based on Herobizkit's earlier statement that they prefer playing Bards, I believe they are more celebrating that the bard is (from a mechanics standpoint) finally in a position to stand "with the big boys", vs. being stuck in that 5th wheel position.

If that is the case, then I genuinely don't understand what the fuss is about. Did he want to play a bard first or something?

If that is the case, then I genuinely don't understand what the fuss is about. Did he want to play a bard first or something?

That's just it, there isn't a fuss. When you mentioned Bard (and this is just how I am reading the postings, Herobizkit knows their word's intent better than I), Hero excitedly jumped at the chance to talk about the bard with a fellow bard fan. I believe you may have taken the words out of context as a condemnation, when (once again, all my point of view) it was more intended to be a "Hey bro, you like bards? I like bards! Let's Bard it up!"

Uller

Adventurer
I think he was excited for you to be able to play a bard and have it be able to shine as well as other classes. He was sharing your enthusiasm but maybe enthusiastic about something different than what you were enthusiastic about.

Anyway...no worries....if people want to optimize then go ahead. If not, then don't. As a DM I try to have opportunities for both play styles to shine (im not always successful, but I try)

Remove ads