Any word on the GSL?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do not believe that a corporate directive to employees, should one exist, suggesting they do what they legally can to try to remove or curtail competition would necessarily be a matter of malice by any in particular or all involved in such a corporate policy.

Perhaps - that way leads the debate of "what counts as moral/ethical action for a business". That's a goodly pool of quicksand there, and it was not my intention to step in it...

I'll restate and rephrase below, in a manner to sidestep that particular puddle.

Also of note, when someone is doing something in one circumstance that could be taken as a matter of survival, in another set of circumstances it could be viewed less charitably.

True. However, I am not sure it is relevant - simply because I have never seen or heard any cogent evidence that there is any "matter of survival" at hand. Does anyone here have any real evidence, or even solid argument, that a 3rd party product ever took a real bite out of WotC sales? If not, then there's no "matter of survival". Third party publishers do not seem to be any threat to WotC.

On the other hand, I am not sure there's much hard evidence that 3pp were a particular asset to WotC's overall bottom line, either. We here, who are a small group of atypical gamers may collectively love and buy things from 3pp, but I am not sure that translates into significant benefits to WotC. The original intent of the OGL was to have it be a major benefit, but I strongly suspect that the benefit turned out to be questionable.

So, lacking evidence that it is either a strong benefit or detriment, it is reasonable to expect the upper management to be... uninterested. Current progress is consistent with this simply not being a major priority. Rather than being quick and clean, it is turning into a slow, complicated beast. That is normal corporate behavior, no?

So - don't ascribe to particular intent what can be reasonably explained by apathy :)

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Hi scott,
Thanks for the update, it will be great if you can release it soon (I want to release a 4e book next month, duh :) ).

Also, regrading the statement of acceptance, do I have to snail mail it? or is there an email option as well?

Thanks,
Daniel

Snail mail since we need the original signed copy.

Remove ads