• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody have "Dangerous Denizens: Monsters of Tellene" yet?

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Here's a few selected quotes:

"Unlike dwarves and githzerai, rock gnomes are unlikely to form arranged marriages with humans. This is generally because most humans see nothing that a gnomish alliance could offer them. However, male gnomes are said to be quite ardent suitors, and it is not uncommon for a human female to become smitten (at least temporarily) with one. As such, half-gnomes are occasionally found around Reanaaria Bay, where interaction between the races is frequent. Far less often, half-gnomes may come from Svimohzia or the Young Kingdoms. "

"Half-gnomes (known as "daruukala" or "littlebones" in Reanaarian and “shirazi” in Gnome) are curious, adventurous and light-hearted. Of the half-human races, the daruukala are perhaps the most adaptable to life under any circumstance."

"Half-gnomes stand from 4 to 4 1/2 feet tall and commonly weigh from 70 to 75 pounds. Even with their slightly larger-than-normal ears, eyes and noses, the daruukala are often mistaken for unusually short humans. Their skin is a light or medium tan, their hair is usually brown or black and their eyes are often a sea-green color. Half-gnomes reach maturity around age 25 and can live to be over 200 years old."

Any other questions? :)

===
Mark Plemmons
Kenzer and Company
www.kenzerco.com
===

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Well, I won't be very specific so you'll have to at least pick up the book to look at. :) However, some minor (non-rules) notes:

on half-gnomes...

As human blood really provides no special bonuses, I suppose you "could" say that the half-gnomes are 'watered-down' rock, hill or deep gnomes (variants listed for each), in the same way that half-elves are 'watered-down' elves.

on half-satyrs...

Half-satyrs are the unusual offspring of satyrs and seduced human females. Nine times out of ten, the child dies young (from natural occurrences or angry mobs). However, there is still that small chance that the child will reach adulthood.
As the hairy satyrs primarily haunt the northern forests (the Voldorwoods of Brandobia, the Brindonwood of northern Ek’Gakel, and the Khorren and Rytarr Woods of the Wild Lands), their mates and offspring are also found in these areas. Gakites and Fhokki females are the most common human parents to bear a half-satyr, followed by Brandobians. Kalamaran, Reanaarian, and Svimohzish half-satyrs do not seem to exist.
Half-satyrs are known as “vrastand” in Modern Brandobian, “koremo” in the regional Gakite tongue, and “lhokkarr” in Fhokki. In Sylvan, half-satyrs are called "meirbhurm."

Half-satyrs, in stark contrast to their fey parentage, are mostly serious minded, though the mischievous side of their personality often appears at the least likely of times. This seriousness likely comes from the hardships and taunting they suffered in their youth and adolescence, while they tried to come to terms with their unusual nature.
Half-satyrs stand about 5 feet tall and commonly weigh from 110 to 130 pounds. Half-satyrs are considered adults at age 18 and can live to be up to 130 years old. Half-satyrs are almost always male.
Half-satyrs are often loners and wanderers, taking to adventuring as a means of distraction from their lives. Their high Charisma and Dexterity makes them excellent bards and sorcerers. They also become druids, shamans, rangers or even fighters, though less frequently.

on sileni...

The sileni, also known as goatlings, are devious creatures. Sileni take advantage of their similarities to satyr legends to dupe their prey out of treasure and other goods. A sileni has the body of a human, but its head and upper torso resemble that of a goat.

Under the cover of darkness, sileni often ambush travelers, as well as raid homes and farms. By using their pipes on their victims, the sileni can gain both food and wealth. Any lonely building or traveler is at risk of becoming a victim in a nighttime sileni raid. Even the tunes played by their pan pipes are different [the sileni have a "nightmare song" ability they can sing or use with their pipes].

The sileni pack travels together out of cooperation and mutual benefit. There is no established hierarchy or leadership, only the group leads itself, going wherever the majority decides. Any goatlings that are not willing to accept the pack’s decision are free to leave. Similarly, mating is equally carefree. Males and females mate when the notion hits them and have no commitment to one another after the act. Sileni offspring are raised by the pack. If sileni young are separated from the group by an attack, there is no effort to find them again. The offspring must fend for themselves.

Unfortunately for the sileni, packs occasionally draw attention from forest dwellers that understand the creature’s true nature. Druids, surface elves, dryads and treants are known to attack sileni packs, even when unprovoked. As such, sileni will also travel alone, in hopes of avoiding these conflicts.

===
Mark Plemmons
Kenzer and Company
www.kenzerco.com
===

Hungry Tiger

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Well, I won't be very specific so you'll have to at least pick up the book to look at. :)

As it should be. I'll certainly look at the book when I have a chance.

The take on sileni is . . . not what I'd do. But the half-races sound like what I'm looking for.

qstor

Adventurer
I like the artwork. Good job mark and co. I'm looking forward to see what Brian does with the regions whether they each get there own sourcebook.

Mike

JoeGKushner

First Post
My review will be coming soon.

So far it's a big thumbs up. One of, if not the first 3.5 books and it looks pretty head on stat wise so far. The maps of the locals that the monsters inhibit is a plus but the maps themselves are too dark to really read. Looks like a lot of role playing information is in here in addition to the stats.

For its size, the book is incredibily inexpensive.

Outlaw

First Post
qstor said:
I like the artwork. Good job mark and co. I'm looking forward to see what Brian does with the regions whether they each get there own sourcebook.

Dave has been planning a sourcebook for Kalamar for some time now. I know other regions (such as the Young Kingdoms) will have to wait for that book as obviously Kalamar is the parent kingdom and most likely heavily influences them.

Other regions don't have to wait, though, so I'd bet you'll be able to see a sourcebook for Brandobia eventually.

Outlaw

First Post
JoeGKushner said:

For its size, the book is incredibily inexpensive.

I was telling people $29.99 because I just couldn't fathom the book being any cheaper. My jaw fell open when it was pointed out to me that it's only $24.99. I would have paid the five extra, but such a cheap price (especially when some books that came out at GenCon of equivalent size were reaching $50.00) it's a must have in my opinion.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I'm a Kalamar completist, despite not yet having run a game there, but I was going to pass on this book simply because I am running four other campaigns and thought I might never get around to starting one in Kalamar.

Anyway, I bought the book last night based on the positive comments here and I am pleased I did. Actually, to me this is what a campaign-specific book of monsters should be like. I don't want stats, per se: I want flavour and backstory.

I also really like the bugbear mage and his rack of skulls. Ogre mages have always been a favourite of mine since 1E; bugbear mages might be getting that guernsey in the not-too-distant future!

Cheers
D

Remove ads