• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody have "Spellguard" yet?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just wondering if anyone's gotten this FR mod yet - first impressions?

Just got it thirty minutes ago. It's in shrinkwrap. Mmm... shiny.

I'm struggling with the shrinkwrap. Can't get it off! Stupid... stubborn... shrinkwrap!

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
One Poster map: tower on one side, ruins in a desert(?) on the other.

Adventure Book One: 32 pages. Good paperstock.

First few pages discuss how to get the PCs into the adventure, including about 10 rumours and lots and lots of suggestions. Map of Spellguard - several locations to explore. An adventure log for players.

Ooh... Rival adventurers!

Bunches and bunches of wandering monsters, split into Hostile Encounters and Social Encounters. That's a very, very cool idea.

Two "delve" format outdoor encounters that can be used as "set piece" encounters as the party is travelling around Spellgard.

Seven pages of pictures, quite good artwork I feel.

Adventure Book Two has 31 encounters in the three major locations of Spellgard: the Ramparts on the perimeter of the ruins, the Catacombs that lie beneath the Tower, and the Tower itself.

I'll have a closer look when the opportunity presents itself: I'm at work and I'm meant to be printing reports.

Cheers!

Tuerny

First Post
I like it but I have three problems with it.
SPOILERS

1) The big maps don't really match up with the smaller maps inside the module. For the most part I am assuming the tactical maps are correct.
2) There are some encounters in here that are REALLY, REALLY hard. I mean like an encounter against a Night Haunter Oni. Assuming best case scenario (4th level PCs) I am not sure they can really beat it without getting really lucky. Same with the 6th level solo vampire and the first encounter with the endless Ettercap soldiers when you get into the tower. I think as a DM I will have to do some heavy modification to get the module working.
3) It is not as clear as I would like as to why the PCs would end up going to the ramparts. This isn't that tough to work out, but still..

END SPOILERS

Like Rechan, I was a bit disappointed by the lack of new monsters.
I haven't read it any further than a quick scan to check for new monsters, so I don't have much else to say about it yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads