• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Anyone done a spellweaver conversion for 4E?

Mentat55

First Post
I based this off of the 3E MM2 version (not familiar with any other). Because it can cast so many spells, I figured it needed to be at least an Elite, if not a Solo, monster. And because I thought it should be something of a glass cannon, I made it an Artillery monster, though it has some Controller aspects and could definitely be retooled in that direction. The number of actions it can take per round might be a bit much for an elite monster, but I figured it might act as sort of a baby solo in this regard, having some of the punch without all of the staying power.

Spell Weaver Raider
Level 15 Elite Artillery
Medium immortal humanoid XP 2,400
Init +12 Senses Perception +13; darkvision, truesight 6
HP 214; Bloodied 107
AC 29; Fort 23, Ref 29, Will 30
Immune charm
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6, teleport 6
Action Points 1
:bmelee: Slam (standard; at-will)
+18 vs. AC; 1d6-1 damage.
:ranged: Force Missile (standard; at-will) ♦ Force
Requires one hand; ranged 20; +20 vs. Reflex; 2d6+7 force damage and the target is pushed 1 square.
:ranged: Scorching Ray (standard; at-will) ♦ Fire
Requires one or two hands; ranged 10; +20 vs. Reflex, one or two attacks; 2d6+7 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
:ranged: Acid Orb (standard; at-will) ♦ Acid
Requires three hands; ranged 10; +20 vs. Reflex; 1d8+7 acid damage and the target is blinded (save ends).
:ranged: Chain Lightning (standard; encounter) ♦ Lightning
Requires four hands; ranged 10; +18 vs. Reflex; 3d10+7 lightning damage, and make up to three secondary attacks. Secondary Attacks: ranged 10 (from primary target); +18 vs. Reflex; 1d10+7 lightning damage.
:close: Cone of Cold (standard; recharge :5: :6:) ♦ Cold
Requires four hands; close blast 5; +18 vs. Fortitude; 3d8+7 cold damage and the target is immobilized (save ends). Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).
:area: Bewildering Mist (standard; sustain minor; encounter) ♦ Psychic, Zone
Requires four hands; area burst 1 within 10; +18 vs. Will; 2d10+7 psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends). If a creature moves into the zone, make a secondary attack. Secondary Attack: +18 vs. Will; target is dazed (save ends).
Shield (minor; at-will) ♦ Force
Requires two hands; the spell weaver gains a +4 bonus to AC until the end of its next turn.
Globe of Invulnerability (standard; recharge :5: :6:)
Requires two, three, or four hands; the spell weaver gains a +4 bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and/or Will defense until the end of its next turn.
Invisibility (minor; at-will)
The spell weaver becomes invisible until the end of its next turn, or until it attacks.
Chromatic Disk (minor, encounter)
The spell weaver recharges one of its powers.
Spell Weaving
As a standard action, a spell weaver can use one or more of its hands to employ powers that require hands. The spell weaver has six hands, and as a standard action can use as many powers as it wants, so long as they do not require more than six hands total.
Align Unaligned Languages telepathy unlimited (spell weavers only)
Skills Arcana +19
Str 9 (+6) Dex 20 (+12) Wis 22 (+13)
Con 11 (+7) Int 25 (+14) Cha 17 (+10)

Mesh Hong

First Post
Thats insane.

(furious tapping at calculator for worst case scenario)

Openning round, the creature starts off invisible (why wouldn't you?). It appears and unleashes 6 force missiles against the same target as a single standard action, turns invisible again as a minor action, teleports up to 6 squares to a reasonable position as a move action, spends an action point and blasts the same target with another 6 force missiles.

worst case scenario computer says:
1 target takes 24d6+84 force damage and is pushed 12 squares
thats up to 228 damage in the first round

It then takes a beating for one round, I would imagine that it would see a fair spread of daily powers heading its way.

If it survives it can then teleport away and cone of cold the melee PCs who will have surrounded him, then scorching ray 2 targets to hopefully get a bit of ongoing fire damage going, the become invisible as a minor action.

I have the feeling it may be a bit overpowered, but I'm just crazy enough to like it. In this form it has got to be almost completely unusable though especially as it only going to part of your xp budget, imagine the horror of 2 of these guys (waiting invisibly) with a nice level 15 brute as bait to lure the PCs in.

FunkBGR

Explorer
Looks like a quick conversion.

Ideas to balance it:

Make it so the Force Missile and Scorching Ray can't target the same creature when used multiple times in a round.

Make the powers super-rechargeable

Limit each power to be used 1/round, and have the Chromatic Disk perhaps bump this limit up to 2/round for one power.

the Jester

Legend
Hmm, I was going to make my conversion a level 20 (or thereabouts) solo monster, basing it on the beholder. The version you have now is pretty outrageously powerful- too many actions, imho. Actions are the most valuable thing in the economy of 4e. I have a feeling that just one of these guys is a tpk waiting to happen.

On the other hand, leave his hit points pretty low- don't increase them again- and make him a solo, and you might be in business.

Remove ads