Anyone else backed Dragonbane?

Not sure how I feel about those advancement rules yet, but the system does seem intriguing. And Free League makes some great product.
Yeah, not a big fan either (generally, not only in Dragonbane). I suspect that's one of the things I am going to remove with house rules.
But I guess, the BRP legacy, which seems to be important especially to the Swedish player base.

S'mon

Legend
I like the BRP-based advancement rules a lot, it's one of the things that differentiates it from level based games like D&D. I think doing the end of session awards as a cooldown should work well. I was wondering about allowing +1 to an Attribute as a Heroic Ability. That generally seems weaker than most HAs, roughly equivalent to Robust, but deals with the hangnail feel of having a 12 or 15, just below the next higher level for skills.

S'mon

Legend
One thing I've been doing is going through my printouts underlining Boon & Bane; it's easy to miss that eg shields give a Boon on parry attempts.

S'mon

Legend
While the game is generally lower powered than 5e D&D, some of the HAs look set to change that. I can see a dual sword wielding plate armoured knight with Duel Wielder + Double Slash cutting down 4 enemies in a round as their attacks bounce off him...

S'mon

Legend
Playing first game Sunday, I have to decide whether to convert the Quickstart PCs to the Beta rules with the much longer skill list. I wish they'd stuck with a shorter list.

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
Getting my kids switched over from dnd5e now, I actually prefer the longer skill list but I am old hat BRP and other skill based games. In fact until I started the 5e pandemic game I haded played a class and level game since 5th grade in 1986.

S'mon

Legend
First game today! Players happy, some said they preferred it to 5e - and it should get even better after teething troubles. We did have a PC death - Trystan the Bard (seen here at the back during attack on goblin camp) repeatedly shot by goblin arrows while playing his flute. He was on 0 hp and still fluting away when a lucky shot did his hp in damage and felled the unfortunate musician.

1676245989224.png

Maletherin

Explorer
First game today! Players happy, some said they preferred it to 5e - and it should get even better after teething troubles. We did have a PC death - Trystan the Bard (seen here at the back during attack on goblin camp) repeatedly shot by goblin arrows while playing his flute. He was on 0 hp and still fluting away when a lucky shot did his hp in damage and felled the unfortunate musician.

View attachment 275396
Good, sir, that duck rocks!

Remove ads