Anyone else find this really irritating?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I was annoyed by it at first because of what I was used to in previous editions, but I do see why now. It saves space in page count and keeps the clutter down in spell descriptions. There are just so many casting classes now that it is easier to look at their list and then flip to the spell you want.

There is also this:

https://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/

G

Guest 6801328

Thread titles that don't say what they are about? Yes, very annoying.

Spell lists, not so much.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Solved this for my game by putting all the spells online on my own (yes, this took a fair bit of time!), where it's then easy to edit in a new class/level if such arises and make other changes as and when required. And everyone has easy access, too - no more passing the book around.

I use an app called D&D Spell 5e

It has all the spells from all the official books and you can search any spell. You can also filter every spell by: Class, Verbal, Somatic, Material, Ritual, Action, Target, level and School.

It's super useful.

So, if you want to know which spells your Wizard can cast while tied up or gagged, you just punch it in and it will tell you.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Anyone else hate how in the spell descriptions it lists the level but doesn't say WHAT classes can use it, forcing you to go back to the beginning of the chapter to check?
I found it a little odd at first, but given how maleable spell lists are, I see why it would have been a waste of ink.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Things like this is what I find really annoying. Theft and piracy pretending to be something other than stealing from others and lowering the value of RPG authors efforts.

I dunno, it’s really pretty useless on its own. No book sales were harmed in its creation IMHO, it’s just making some data more accessible.

G

Guest 6801328

Things like this is what I find really annoying. Theft and piracy pretending to be something other than stealing from others and lowering the value of RPG authors efforts.

Wait...what? How does it lower the value? I would argue that the referenced website increases the value of the authors efforts.

1) It makes the game more valuable/playable (at least to me), thus making the rulebooks more desirable.
2) It's useless without the rest of the rules.

Are you proposing that there are people out there who don't buy either PHB or XGtE because all they want are the spell descriptions, and websites like that one give those away for free?

Remove ads