• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have their recent Rappan Athuk: Reloaded shipped from Amazon.com?

catsclaw227

First Post
I placed an order for Ptolus and RARe from Amazon, and I received an email saying that my RARe shipped yesterday, but Ptolus has been delayed.

We'll see what happens. I already have RARe, it was simply an attempt to get one cheap from Amazon.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Whisper72 said:
It is a special clause in the business plan. It is called the Santa Clause...

They may sell certain items at a loss in the hopes of getting ppl in the shop and buying more/other items with which the profits are made. Many RL stores do this.
I've never encountered a store that lost money on anything in real life. Even so-called "loss leaders" are simply sold for near-cost or they've figured out the price they charge for unlimited drink refills or whatever make a profit on average. (Soda syrup and seltzer water is pretty cheap, especially in massive quantities.)

I certainly don't see anyone deciding to lose money on a product that retails for $120 SRP.

Barak

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I've never encountered a store that lost money on anything in real life. Even so-called "loss leaders" are simply sold for near-cost or they've figured out the price they charge for unlimited drink refills or whatever make a profit on average. (Soda syrup and seltzer water is pretty cheap, especially in massive quantities.)

I certainly don't see anyone deciding to lose money on a product that retails for $120 SRP.

When I worked at the supermarket, we constantly sold Pepsi and Coke product at a loss. The price on those, even though they are cheap, is often what makes people decide what store to go to, so you end up making more money even though you lose about a dime on each.

Then again, the store did get bonuses at the end of the year from both Pepsi and Coca-Cola based on volume sold, so it probably ended up breaking even.

Whisper72

Explorer

Well.. a friend of mine is manager/owner of a large electronicssuperstore (MediaMarkt). They sell certain items which they advertise heavily at a real loss (i.e. lower then purchase cost, not even counting shipping, handling, advertising etc. costs), so that ppl come into the store.
He insures me that very few ppl who come to the store for those items leave without buying other items as well, and also, once these things have sold out, due to the heavy advertising, people still come to the store, find out what they came for is no longer available, and end up buying something else in stead...
As I stated, I do not know to what extend this model would work out for an internet based store however...

By the way, I also ordered RAR from Amazon, and they mailed me that it had been shipped. As I live in continental Europe, this may take some time, but it seems to be on the way!

Ptolus I got through the pre-order program, directly, to get the extra goodies...

Last edited:

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I pre-ordered mine directly from White Wolf back a month or two ago. I paid full price, not sure if it would actually materialize anyplace else. Happy day today, I got into work and had an email with a code to get PDF versions of Rappan Athuk 1, 2, 3, AND Reloaded from DrivethroughRPG.com. That's really handy, I'll tell ya.

-DM Jeff

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

We sell stuff at a loss all the time, a small loss, but the cheap price gets customers buying our line of products, which means they end up buying more expensive stuff as well. We don't sell retail stuff but the concept is the same.

JoeGKushner

First Post
DM_Jeff said:
I pre-ordered mine directly from White Wolf back a month or two ago. I paid full price, not sure if it would actually materialize anyplace else. Happy day today, I got into work and had an email with a code to get PDF versions of Rappan Athuk 1, 2, 3, AND Reloaded from DrivethroughRPG.com. That's really handy, I'll tell ya.

-DM Jeff

The dreaded ditto post. More than makes up for the Amazon.com thing in my opinion.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Ordered mine from an online retailer for 47.99 almost 2 weeks ago, just got it in today.
I'm a big proponent of PDF's and to be honest I'm glad I didnt pre-order and pay full price for this, unlike Ptolus. Maybe that feeling will change upon further perusal but for now I'm like ...meh.

I'll shell out for the PDF eventually using the coupon I got on the Ptolus CD and it will still only wind up costing me only about $10 more than retail for both hard copy and PDF. Which works out just fine for me, because by the time I was ready to pre-order my copy pre-order was closed.

Remove ads