• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone here from Edmonton, Alberta?

Speaker

First Post
Calgarian, but I lived in Edmonton for several years in between international bouts. I'll be heading off to Vancouver in a month.

I favour Calgary over Edmonton, but don't take a part in our friendly (or not-so-friendly) bickering when it comes up. Can't we all just get along? :)

And Sentry Box is the place to be as a gamer.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Anubus said:
Nitpicking but, you can ask to look at any book, and they'll open it for you to browse. The points can be used anytime, but can only be used for a certain percentage of your purchase, except on certain days.

I didn't know that about the points! Thanks.

I did ask about the opening of books, but I was told there was a $2 charge, which would apply to the cost of the book if I actually bought it. Perhaps that is only if the guy with the eye-patch is around.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Wippit Guud said:
How come no one moves to Prince Edward Island?
Stop looking at me!

My parents forcibly removed me from my Spud homeland when I was a babe of less than a year old.

Acmite

First Post
Cheiromancer said:

I did ask about the opening of books, but I was told there was a $2 charge, which would apply to the cost of the book if I actually bought it. Perhaps that is only if the guy with the eye-patch is around.

I'm from Edmonton, although I'm finishing up my Master's at the U of W (done by the end of the year, I hope!).

I came back to Edmonton to visit friends/family in June and I had the same problem at Warp 1. They wanted to charge me $2 to look at a $50 book.

When informed of this, I put all the stuff I had picked up back where I found it and left the store. That's ridiculous, and even though they're all that's really left in Edmonton, I can't believe they've survived. I miss Adventurer's Supply! I don't remember Warp 1 being like that at all. Overpriced? Sure. Asses about it? Not really. Stupid policies? Not really. When I lived just off Whyte (on 83rd ave) about 4 years ago, I used to go there all the time. Wonder what happened that they changed so much....weird.

Oh, and I remember reading something about Edmonton having more "green space" than any other city in Canada.

Hey Latency! I posted to the thread in Gamers seeking gamers before I headed home so we could hook up for some gaming, but I guess you weren't subscribed or something since you never replied. Maybe some other time, eh?

Foundry of Decay

First Post
Acmite said:

I'm from Edmonton, although I'm finishing up my Master's at the U of W (done by the end of the year, I hope!).

I came back to Edmonton to visit friends/family in June and I had the same problem at Warp 1. They wanted to charge me $2 to look at a $50 book.

When informed of this, I put all the stuff I had picked up back where I found it and left the store. That's ridiculous, and even though they're all that's really left in Edmonton, I can't believe they've survived. I miss Adventurer's Supply! I don't remember Warp 1 being like that at all. Overpriced? Sure. Asses about it? Not really. Stupid policies? Not really. When I lived just off Whyte (on 83rd ave) about 4 years ago, I used to go there all the time. Wonder what happened that they changed so much....weird.

Oh, and I remember reading something about Edmonton having more "green space" than any other city in Canada.

Hey Latency! I posted to the thread in Gamers seeking gamers before I headed home so we could hook up for some gaming, but I guess you weren't subscribed or something since you never replied. Maybe some other time, eh?

*Jaw hits floor* They wanted to charge you to look at the books? That is the nail in their coffin.

I didn't realize they wen't that peculiar. I knew warp went downhill after they moved the store from one side to the other in the same complex. People aren't allowed upstairs anymore, browsing space is a quarter of what it was, and supply was terrible (Considering I'd asked several times to get some Reaper paints in and I doubt they've restocked them yet)..

..But to *charge* someone to preview books is insane. That was the one thing I liked about Warp 1 was the fact that they would have preview, non-sale copies that you could flip through at your leisure.

I'm glad my group and I made the decision to never, ever set foot in that place again after seeing how bad it got. I'll happily go about getting things online or from Sentry Box if I have to.

What I wouldn't give for Adventurer Supply to be open again.

myrdden

First Post
Acmite said:

That's rather inane policy. I can't believe it is still in effect.

Thankfully Warp 2 is not like that at all.

Myrdden

Latency

First Post
Is Warp 2 the one in the north end ?

Hey Acmite I did not know how to subscribe to threads until recently. Once It fell off the second page I stopped watching it. email me next time you are coming through. If no game then at least a beer. :)

Marc

jollyninja

First Post
for years, living in grande prairie, where the last great nerd store closed down over a decade ago due to a lack of buisiness brought on by cat urine odour (coincidentally the rentadm's went on to make baldur's gate, the half orc in the mines was a character of my buddy wade's), i had allways heard what a great store warp 1 was and how they had way more stuff then anything here. when i saw the shrink wrap and fee thing last month on my first visit combined with the fact that there was little i could not get at home (7th sea was all i found and 3.5 2 days before anyone here got it) i wondered what all the hype was over. i think i'll shop at home where they give me at least the gst off at the local gameshop because i spent like $1500 there last year. warp 1 sucks.

MulhorandSage

First Post
Teflon Billy said:

Nope, and it's not carved in stone; just an idea my SO and I are kicking around.

Might as well, the goddam Canucks drove me to distraction these last playoffs.

I've always liked the Oilers (though I think the loss of both Anson Carter and Doug Weight might have put the nail in that particular coffin)

If we trade the Sedins will you stay? :) (Though the Oilers are one of the few teams out there who've largely stayed clear of both thuggery and the trap, and thus are worth rooting for).

I'll miss your opinions on local happenings if you do go, and hope everything works out for you.

Scott Bennie

Remove ads