• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone Know what's up with Dark Portal Games?

BlackJaw

First Post
It looks like their website has been down for a long time (has been every time I have check in the recent past) and I know they left various projects unfinished... so I think they are either gone, changed their name, or joined up with some other people...

more or less I think we are on our own. they started this "community project" and had pledged to do the final editing, art, formating, and release... I don't think we can count on them for that now. We can either try to do it ourselves... or we can try and get some one else to step in. Anyone know any good d20 web presses that would be willing to help out? (I doubt Monte's Malhavoc press would do it no matter how much I ask).

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I can give some insight on this. As you may remember I was involved with DPG before Bastion or WotC materialized. About two years ago now, I had some misgivings about the future of the company despite the good and talented people that were involved with it. I recently spoke with Patric, who effectively took over my position when I left, regarding a number of things including the status of DPG, and unfortunately it appears that my original misgivings were sadly prophetic. Make of that cryptic comment what you may since it isn't my place to make any announcements regarding the companys activities.

I'm going to take a look at what you have and I'll see if there's anything I can help arrange with a publisher and a PDF release, if not more. I commend the efforts of those of you who really took this bull by the horns and have not given up on it despite a complete lack of support. Some of my own projects I look back on with the most fondness are the ones I did for the passion rather than the pay.

Anyway, this is your project. Let me know if my help is welcome.

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
Hello!

We'd welcome some help here (well I would) once the project is ready (I can't even guess... it's been pushed back more then Half-life 2). At the very least I'd love some feedback from some one that knows what they are doing (I'm sort of winging it). I'd love to see what a press might like to do with (a bit of artwork, a nice layout, just getting it some publicity so people it might be useful to might try using it... if it's worth using. I'm just amateur.)

As far as "bull by the horns goes" I'd say that's a bit much. I'll take personal credit for not letting this project die at least once, but it's not done yet and it's taking a lot longer then it should. Still little prods like this help keep me going. That and I have every intention of using these flight rules in my home game at some point in the not so distant future. (goblin built underground flying machines... yah the caves under my game are that big).

Whisperfoot said:
I can give some insight on this. As you may remember I was involved with DPG before Bastion or WotC materialized. About two years ago now, I had some misgivings about the future of the company despite the good and talented people that were involved with it. I recently spoke with Patric, who effectively took over my position when I left, regarding a number of things including the status of DPG, and unfortunately it appears that my original misgivings were sadly prophetic. Make of that cryptic comment what you may since it isn't my place to make any announcements regarding the companys activities.

I'm going to take a look at what you have and I'll see if there's anything I can help arrange with a publisher and a PDF release, if not more. I commend the efforts of those of you who really took this bull by the horns and have not given up on it despite a complete lack of support. Some of my own projects I look back on with the most fondness are the ones I did for the passion rather than the pay.

Anyway, this is your project. Let me know if my help is welcome.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
BlackJaw said:
Hello!

We'd welcome some help here (well I would) once the project is ready (I can't even guess... it's been pushed back more then Half-life 2).
OK. Just let me know when the project is done and I'll see what I can do.

At the very least I'd love some feedback from some one that knows what they are doing (I'm sort of winging it).
Any chance I can look at the most up to date version you have?

BlackJaw

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
Any chance I can look at the most up to date version you have?

I posted it recently here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87076

Only a few things are not in there and that's because they arn't done yet. Of course it still needs polishing and such. I think the crashing rules are very poorly worded (Hey I wrote it, so that's my fault) and few other places are similarly poorly... but it's a work in slow progress.

Remove ads