Anyone picked up True Sorcery?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
JohnSnow said:
Hi Akrasia!

Yes, I've thought about using True Sorcery with True20. The Spellcaster can be used either as a supplement or a replacement for the default system. Basically, it's a modification of the adept role.
So in sum, True Sorcery is a nice system, but isn't "point-less" like the rest of True 20. As such, you might be disappointed in the implementation. But if the points don't bother you, it's definitely worth checking out.

My two cents.

Thanks for the overview, JohnSnow. :)

I take it that the 'feel' of the magic system in True Sorcery is quite different than the one in True20? True20's system feels like a 'psionics' system, or something like it, which I guess is not surprising given that it is based on the system in GR's Psychic's Handbook. My impression is that the system in 'True Sorcery' is quite different -- more 'fire and bang' in character.

Anyhow, is the old gang still gaming at your digs on a regular basis?

Nebulous

Legend
Antendren said:
I making a bit of JavaScript that does it. If it comes out an good, I'll share it.

It's requiring that I look closely at all the spells, and in the process I've found a bunch of errors. Hopefully they'll be fixed whenever that errata shows up.

JohnSnow said:
I've got one that was done for the Black Company Campaign Setting. Same basic system.

Tweaking it for True Sorcery wouldn't be THAT hard. The custom augmentations for new powers would have to be added though.

It was a really cool spreadsheet. I'd happily modify it for True Sorcery. Unfortunately, my Excel-fu isn't that good.

-John

Yeah, if anyone has a spreadsheet they're working on, let us know. That is probably the single most difficult thing i've seen about this system. The incredible flexibility comes with a price. And you should definitely email GR with all the mistakes you've found. They would be very appreciative, i'm sure.

JohnSnow

Hero
Akrasia said:
I take it that the 'feel' of the magic system in True Sorcery is quite different than the one in True20? True20's system feels like a 'psionics' system, or something like it, which I guess is not surprising given that it is based on the system in GR's Psychic's Handbook. My impression is that the system in 'True Sorcery' is quite different -- more 'fire and bang' in character.

Anyhow, is the old gang still gaming at your digs on a regular basis?

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. The magic system in True Sorcery feels like, well, magic. Effects are, for the most part, ephemeral and the Talents are organized in very effect-oriented ways. For example, Beast Lore is a talent that covers all the things one can do relating to animals, except for turning into one, which is covered by the Shapeshifting Talent.

There's a few "missing" effects (there's no spell to turn unwilling people into something, for example), but those would be trivially easy to add. Probably just a DC penalty to make the spell affect an "unwilling" target.

And alas no, the old gang stopped gaming at my place when we all get real busy right before Christmas. It's been a BUSY spring, in terms of me having my evenings free, so we haven't gotten everyone back together since. I'm still hopeful though. I keep intending to send Steve and Jason an email.

Nebulous

Legend
So, i was thinking that the spell build worksheet could use a little embellishment. Mine was filled with scribbled notes, so i added some fields to it. Any more suggestions?

Attachments

• TS_spell build worksheet.pdf
    122.3 KB · Views: 170

dalfen

First Post
One TS question. I was checking the augmentations and i didn't find it.
There is some way to increase the saving throw of a spell (same that with duration, damage,range,etc...)
I suppose that I can make a saving throw augmentation table but I don't know how to do the numbers: +2 to the DC modifier for each +1 to the saving throw would be balanced?

Nebulous

Legend
dalfen said:
One TS question. I was checking the augmentations and i didn't find it.
There is some way to increase the saving throw of a spell (same that with duration, damage,range,etc...)
I suppose that I can make a saving throw augmentation table but I don't know how to do the numbers: +2 to the DC modifier for each +1 to the saving throw would be balanced?

There is a feat you can take, Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus that bumps your Spellcraft and DC on a Spell Talent. (and all the iterations of that spell). As written, i don't think there's a way to increase saving throw DC unless you houserule certain spell components. Personally, that is what i would do as a DM.

On a related note, Arcana Evolved has an Eldritch Magic feat that bumps up the DC for your spells, and allows you to "laden" a spell, i.e. cast two spells levels at once, to further enhance the DC. Similarly, there could be a method in TS to expend more Spell Energy to enhance your spells in such a way.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Also, keep in mind, if making a house rule, that bumping the DC is a phenomenally powerful thing to do; it's one reason why the various PrC's that boost spell DC's in 3.0 were down-powered when they revised to 3.5. A +2 DC per +1 to saves would be unbalanced, and maybe even +5 DC per +1 to saves would be unbalanced. Personally, I'd start setting it at +5 per +1 and see how crazy the save DCs get; change the number up or down from there.

For example, a rule that said +5 DC per +1 on a ray of force would net you about a +5 save bonus increase for a +25 to the spell. Figuring in the "extra time taken rule," and you could hit a DC of 45 or so pretty regularly for a prepped spell with this bonus. Then again, a DC 20 spell would be pretty weak, so that might be balanced enough. Only playtesting or playing with the hard numbers would tell for sure.

Remove ads