Anyone still running a 3.0 game ?

shadow

First Post
I'm still running a pure 3.0 Ravenloft game. I don't allow any 3.5e rules to creep into my game. No "3.25" rules mixing. I only allow stuff published before the release of 3.5e! :D

Seriously, I'm just too cheap to shell out any money for the new books. Most of the changes that I've seen in 3.5e, I wasn't too impressed with. Beside, the stuff that was "broken" in 3.0e was fixed by my house rules, so I don't see any compelling need to upgrade.

Testament

First Post
kigmatzomat said:
My 3.0 game's been running since shortly after the game's release and the party is 18th level. There's no way, short of a Forgotten Realms Time of Troubles-esque maneuver I could ret-con all the rules changes.

I allow access to a limited quantity of 3.5 items but truth be told I don't like most of the 3.5 supplements. The changes to the core 3 are fine (man, I much prefer MM3.5's monster advancements!) and I'm using the XPH instead of the PsiHB but some bits of Complete Arcane and Divine give me an uncontrollable twitch.

Things like Divine Metamagic, or the Orb spells I'm guessing?

I've still got my 3.0 stuff, there's groups that don't play 3.5, and quite frankly, there's stuff in there worth keeping.

And yeah, 3.0 handled cover better.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I am playing in a 3.0 game - a newbie DM who is running sunless citadel.
she was a intermitantly good player, but a good DM. She just prefers not to have to do the work to convert it, although she has several hanwritten pages reworked from the modual.
keeping the rules to a single set allows her more creativity with plot and NPC personalities.

Arkhandus

First Post
I still run 3.0 and still despise 3.5. :D

Nonetheless, I'm currently stuck playing in three 3.5 games (intermittently, none are particularly regular) of which two were originally 3.0 before converting, and I'm currently substitute-DMing a 3.5 game while the DM is busy with stuff IRL......

I don't plan to start any 3.5 games though, not for quite some time at least (a year, 2, 3, maybe more......), since I don't plan to waste my money on 3.5 dung until there's some exceedingly drastic improvement in the quality and interest of the 3.5 products. Sufficient to not make me personally convert all my hard-bought 3.0 book material just to be able to use it. Besides, I hate most of the 3.5 changes (not enough of it was merely useful balance-oriented or playability-oriented change).

I still have many, many more 3.0 campaigns planned and I still hope to find a group who's willing to run 3.0 games so I can actually play using my hard-bought 3.0 materials.

I might, just possibly, convert to occasionally running/playing 3.5 when/if (and it's a big if) Wizards of the Coast finally gives in and produces a true conversion of 3.0 Oriental Adventures that is actually playable and complete, not some partial-Rokugan-partial-miscellany patchwork collection that has no guides for making it work or mesh together or function as a campaign. I want information for Kara-Tur or something, that I can use hengeyokai and vanara and spiritfolk and such in, and wu jen and shamans and sohei, and kappa and hopping vampires and tasloi, and dhenuka and leather scale and chahar-aina. I want an Oriental Adventures 3.5 book that actually provides the foundations for a campaign, and incorporates everything in the book (or at least a few well-developed campaign models like in D20 Modern, that altogether allow everything in the book to be used at least separated into 2 or more different campaign mini-settings). I want to see more and better attention paid to martial arts and oriental gear, rather than making so many of the oriental weapons Exotic for no good reason, and rather than making martial arts so minimal and bland (what happened to the cool stuff they had back in products like the 2E Complete Book of Ninja (or was it the Complete Ninja's Handbook?)), and rather than making so much of the oriental gear both unrealistic and weak (how come most samurai armor isn't accurately portrayed as being made of lacquered leather plates and such, for instance, and how come much of the oriental armors and such are weaker than the core ones overall?). Rokugan is far too limited for use with most OA material, and has no means of incorporating all of it reasonably (I should know, I spent a year or two trying with my first OA campaign).

It's bad enough that Wizards of the Coast had to go screw up the psionics system in 3.5 instead of simply fixing and streamlining it (but nooooo, of course they couldn't do that, they had to mess things up with augmentations, some stupid new "crystal-punk" sort of theme as I've heard it called on these forums, and such stupidities as soulknives and wilders as 20-level classes, and the idiocy of psionic focus making psionic feats actually pretty worthless, and making psionics just more akin to magic by giving them all sorts of magic-like powers and abilities that no longer make sense in the longstanding D&D psionic flavor). So I haven't bought the XPH yet nor any other 3.5 crud. Maybe someday I'll waste my money on it for the sake of scrounging the few marginally-worthwhile ideas and fixes in it, but I doubt I'll waste my time and money on such bull.
/end rant :D

diaglo

Adventurer
read the story hour in my sig. :D

the campaign converted to 3.11ed for Workgroups. but it is still mostly 2000ed.

edit: hah.. i see the DM posted already. actually there were a few bumps in the transition. my halfling ranger got all messed up in the switch. st00pid shield prof and twf and weapon size damage and now no items for Small Characters... bah..

but we made adjustments. still my character concept got screwed with the pooch.

Last edited:

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
In my personal game (not my writing), I use all the 3.5 rules, except the ones like weapon size, etc.

jinx crossbow

First Post
Melkor said:
If any of you are playing in a current 3.0 campaign, when it ends, are you switching to 3.5 ?

I am GM of a 3.0 Campaign. Tha Vault of Larin Karr ended last weekend and the next
adventure will be Queen of Lies. After this I will make a new campaign:
DnD 3.5 Iron Kingdom or maybe a Harhammer.

I am a player in another 3.0 FR Campaign, this will end in a view sessions with
a big war in the Icewinddale. After this we will switch trough DnD 3.5

Our Undermountain Campaign is still 3.5

reanjr

First Post
Arkhandus said:
I don't plan to start any 3.5 games though, not for quite some time at least (a year, 2, 3, maybe more......), since I don't plan to waste my money on 3.5 dung until there's some exceedingly drastic improvement in the quality and interest of the 3.5 products. Sufficient to not make me personally convert all my hard-bought 3.0 book material just to be able to use it. Besides, I hate most of the 3.5 changes (not enough of it was merely useful balance-oriented or playability-oriented change).

Money isn't a very good reason. You can print out the SRD for cheap (especially if you do a bit of editing to remove useless or redundant info) and Wizards provides a 3.5 update for all its 3.0 material. Now, convenience is another matter.

(I never bought 3.5, but I play it)

Remove ads