• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone still using 3.0?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
One of my groups uses a bastardisation of 3.0 and 3.5. Mostly we started using 3.5 stuff cos that's what was getting published. What we really need to do is sit down and codify exactly what rules from each we use. It'd reduce the confusion. :confused:

kitsune9

Adventurer
I was wondering, is anyone out there still using 3.0 as opposed to 3.5 or 4e etc?

I am one of the few that preferred 3.0 to 3.5 as I felt the rules changes were unnecessary or in some cases completely changed the flavour of the game. To me 3.0 is the last version of the D&D game though I don't discount the 3.5 & 4e systems as D&D, but what I mean is the paradigm of D&D as I grew up with it. 3.0 to me was simply a gelling of house rules like no class restriction or level limits & an excellent rewrite of the Non-Weapon Prof. rules in a useable form. With 3.5 products I sensed a dramatic change in tone occur. I saw no problem with rangers for instance because I was/am still in the paradigm that you played a class because you wanted to be THAT class, not because you wanted their abilities. SO if you wanted to play a ranger, you selected that class. As time went by I noticed emphasis on using class abilities as opposed to being a class as a concept.

I play Pathfinder now, but I'm like you. I thought 3.5 had a lot of unnecessary rule changes. I was expecting 3.5 to be just errata and fix Haste, Harm, and Heal and maybe tackle Polymorph and that's it. But I never went and house-ruled anything back since I was an avid RPGA player in Living Greyhawk so just played on.

I played in a 3.0 game several months ago (I was pleased it was 3.0 and not 3.5, because I still have my 3.0 books, but never purchased the 3.5 rules). My nephew (who is in high school) ran it. I'm not a regular player in it, but I believe his 3.0 game is still going (I don't think he has very strong opinions about the exact edition he's running -- he'd probably be happy with 3.5 or even 4e, but since he's happy with 3.0, he doesn't seem to have any burning need to "upgrade." He's remarkably immune to marketing, apparently. (Or maybe just low on funds...)

Prisoner6

First Post
I will be in a few weeks when I start playing in a new Dragonstar campaign. Systems not all that important to me, so long as I can create interesting characters.

BTW, I'm going to play a diplomat who's a cross between Bertie Wooster and Noam Chomsky (in space, with elves...).

Ah ... Mallus beat me to the post.

We'll be starting a new Dragonstar campaign, which is a 3.0 game, although we're going to modify some thing so it will be a 3.x game.

This gaming group has a 3.5 going scheduled around the other DMs life, so that's 2 games, but I guess that isn't what you asked.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads