• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone want to learn 3D?

Meloncov

First Post
If anyone here wants to learn the basics of 3-D modeling, I'd be happy to give guidence and tutoring in the usage of DOGA. The modeling program is free, and is by far the easiest to learn of all the 3D modelers I've encountered.

It can be downloaded at:
http://www.doga.co.jp/english/

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
Thanks for the offer! I will take you up on it as soon as I have the time - hopefully this weekend.

What I am primarily interested in is creating basic architectural shapes. But I guess I should install the program and get a basic grip on the interface first... ;)

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
OK, first questions:

- How do I design a roof? To be specific, I want to create a "hip roof", as seen here.

- Also, is there any way to save created objects seperately and then later load them all into a single scene? Ideally, I want to create individual buildings with the editor seperately to create a building library of sorts, and then load them up whenever I need certain building types for a scene.

Meloncov

First Post
Which version of DOGA did you download? The ability to use custom made parts (I'm sure theres a hip roof part out there somewhere) is added in L3. Alternatively, you could build it out of the flat polygons in the Simple Items menu.

Edit: I misunderstood your second question. Yes, its easy to save models and re-combine them. In L3 you can do this in the model editor, but its easier to go into the motion editor and go Object>Add Object

Last edited:

Meloncov

First Post
Jürgen Hubert said:
DOGA-L1 - the version that doesn't cost anything...

The site doesn't make it clear, but there's nothing to stop you from using L2 and L3 without registering them. You won't be able to render animations, but the unregistrered version of L3 (but not L2) allows you to render still images.

Still, its not a bad idea to get comfortable with L1 before moving on. When you do feel like you have the hang of it, I'd skip L2 and download L3 (most of the complexity added in L2 won't affect you, as it relates primairly to animation, so it shouldn't be hard to skip.)

Remove ads