Anyone's campaign NOT focused on fighting the forces of evil?

SableWyvern

Adventurer
A Middle Earth campaign I run briefly about a year ago saw players with such grand ambitions as trying to survive from day to day while saving enough money to buy a hand drill (for the party carpenter) or shield (for the fighter).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
PCs are leaders of a group of settlers who have newly arrived on an unexplored island and must explore, establish a settlement and survive...

Previously had PCs as members of a Circus troupe who travelled around performing

and PCs as agents of the Church sent out to recover holy relics, investigate evil cults and bring heretics to justice.

Black Omega

First Post
Well, yes. How about a campaign more focused on fighting the forces of Chaos?:) And the shadowlands, so fighting the forces of corruption I guess. But good and evil both fight them.

Shadowdancer

First Post
In our campaign, the players are helping a prince win enough support to become king.

The current king is in ill health. He recently had a stroke which left him partially paralyzed on the left side of his body. He's also began showing the early effects of Alzheimer's.

By tradition, the king or queen choses his or her successor from among their children, if they have any. The current king has five children, and has not named is successor yet.

Many of the nobles and the king's advisors fear the current king will not be of sound mind to name a successor. The five children are gathering support from among the nobles to support their various claims to the throne.

The players have been helping one of the king's sons win support from various important nobles. They basically have been going on missions for these nobles, in exchange for the promise of their support for the prince.

We've had a good mix so far of action-filled adventures and court intrigue.

Sinklar

First Post
Little Thieves

In our current campaign, our DM has us all playing gnomes and halflings in a thieves guild based in Darromar in Teythr (sp?!). It's kind of like watching an episode of The Sopranos...except that everyone is short...and slightly over the edge. Everyone in our crew is of evil or neutral alignment and it's making for some fantastic role-playing. Honor among thieves and all that.

Last week, our guild contact instructed us to create a disctraction at the Wench's Hole Inn, which was a couple blocks down from a nearby bank the guild intended to hit. The DM probably expected us to start a bar fight or some such nonsense. Instead, we threw a "Town Guard Appreciation Party"!

We packed about 50 of the local area guards into this inn and got them good and sloshed. Of course, the guard squads started arguing with each other about who was better and THEY started a bar fight! Well, with all that whiskey and ale soaking into the wood, a couple of our party members decided to toss torches on the floor. WHOOOOOM!! :)

Over thirty guards died in the inferno, the guild raid was a success and my character didn't even draw a weapon the entire evening. It was truly classic ROLE-playing!

Of course, the Guild questioned our methods, but hey! We got the job done. :)

Last edited:

KDLadage

Explorer
My game currently revolves around a tripple civil-war (political lines, religious lines and racial lines have all been drawn).

I would say that no really evil forces are at work here....

dvvega

Explorer
My current campaign is focused on the players' discovery that the gods are not really gods at all.

I run three groups and things that one group do reach the ears of other groups via the grapevine (so may be delayed by months etc) and they each find pieces of the puzzle leading to the discovery.

Currently two of the groups have "resurrected" two of the sleeping gods - they don't realise they're not really gods yet, but one player has started suspecting. The only reason he knows is that he's played the 2 convention games I wrote which are set in my campaign world and had bits of ancient history driving them.

So there is no good vs evil here, no ancient artifacts, nothing but knowledge ... yes eventually they could cause a renaissance of the religous world, and even remove clerics from the world for a time until true gods notice that the world has no divinities, but that's for the next campaign :)

Tsyr

Explorer
Right now my players just want to get home after a bad magical accident managed to breach the planar barriers around their realm (Planar travel isn't normaly possible in my realm, there are barriers preventing all but limited travel to the three mirror planes... the astral, ethereal, and umbral... and as a result it's also very hard to get back IN once you get out.)

Comert

First Post
In one of the campaigns I am now playing in, the players are the evil invading force. Goodly adventurers come after us to defeat us, the corrupted sorcerer, evil weapon master, evil god's cleric...

Gez

First Post
If a campaign is focused on the PC being fighted by the force of evil rather than the reverse, does that count ? No ? Well. In my campaign, the main opposition to the forces of evil are other forces of evil. Good and Evil are not different colors for the pawns of the chessboards, but philosophy, and an evil guy knows that his selfish goals are best served if he's the only wolf in the sheepfold. Thus, evil strife against itself as much as it strife against good. Fortunately for the world, because the forces of good are much less strong, numerous, diverse, and easily recruited. I'm trying to have a place akin to a fantasy version of the real world, in fact: evil is everywhere, including among the "good guy", and saving the world from it while keeping one's hands clean is nigh impossible.

As a player, I am enduring the Northern Journey. This campaign don't really lets you fight the forces of evil, you're to busy obeying them reluctantly.

Remove ads