Anyone's campaign NOT focused on fighting the forces of evil?

dvvega

Explorer
I don't know if it's wanted in this thread, however the last post just urged me to make a comment

"Being Evil is fun... try it one time... in-group roleplaying is much better since you dont have that "just going along" with the group attitude... raping women and being cruel to new "members" of the group."

I'm not sure people should be roleplaying the raping of women and being cruel to other people and finding it fun.

Yes I understand evil exists, and that evil does things that are definately not very nice, however the one or two incidents in a campaign I don't think compare to the comment made.

Nuff said, sorry to chew up a post in the thread with that.

Voneth

First Post
Well the first phase of my planned campaign is based on the idea that Orcs are not inherently evil, but they've been victims of bad propagada from the elves to the point that elves and human nations pay bounty on Orc scalps.

But then more Orcs move in and try to squat on human lands, something big seems to be moving them from their traditional flatlands. Thus starts phase II.

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Nice to see so many responses. Fair amount of them weren't what I was expecting, but it's cool to see them.

Don't really do an evil campaign for D&D for 2 reasons: (1) already am doing something like this for my Marvel SAGA game, and (2) another player beat me to the punch with a D&D "villainous group" game.

I didn't really notice any campaigns involving quests, ala the Search for the Holy Grail or something like that---pretty much the concept I'm think of doing for my campaign. Of course, the big goal will have a lot of side-quests ("Well, you need the Ancient Key to open that. But, the key was lost in an ancient, secret mine. The mine's location is marked on a map in the Lost Library. I know where the library is, but there is soemthing you need to do for me...." etc.)

My idea is that the PCs will not only gain fame & renown from finding the artifact, but from all the heroics they perform trying to find & get it in the process.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well Dvvega... its not the raping part that was most fun or the rape itself... but the rping consequences...

The Sorceror basically brought along in our boat ride a nice young fishergirl... his pet if you want. Many things happened but basically she got raped in his absence and eventually killed and thrown overboard. My character thought it was a little barbaric and rough ... the other guy was more worried about the Sorceror getting to attached to his pet... I was worried about her running away and squealing. The discussion and squabbling following was very well roleplayed... as the only Lawful element in the group I was very worried about the PCs just killing off the other PCs pet girl. Not good for team work...

The girls life ? Bah insignificant...

May sound teenage thing... but most of us didnt play RPGs as teens... so we are just catching up in our silliness maybe.

I should mention that our Evil group did help out more people than the so called Good group. Our DM said we had better behaviour and contact with the locals than the other group. We got paid in illegal products by the fisher village too...

It´s not every day you plan an assassination... or kill Centaurs and Lammasus. I get too play the Lawful alignment in its more fun Evil version. Lawful Good can be so boring sometimes....

Midnight Rider

First Post
In the campaign next door, one of the PCs, a 19th level Monk, is fighting gaining experience.

He has heard tales that if he advances to 20th level any mage able to cast protection from Law will be able to avoid his unarmed attack, rendering him entirely ineffective for advancing in experience.

After figuring this out, the entire PC party has started adventuring to lift up the carpets, tear back the wallpapers, and find the forces behind the Omniverse who determined such rules. When they find them they are not sure of they will kill them, being they are obviously evil gods, or ask them lots of questions, like, "why did you allow evil to exist?" "Is this some sort of game to you?" "Why didn't you create perfect rules?"

birdboy2000

First Post
Bring peace to warring groups in my campaign setting. Though we do our share of fighting evil, that is more due to alignment then anything else.

Corinth

First Post
What I'm Doing

Well, I'm not running a D&D game. I'll fix that in about six months to a year or so, when all of my careful arrangements fall into place and I can get my "Lost Sons of Numenor" campaign started.

In the meantime, here's what I am running:
  • Mage: Not fighting evil; trying to keep it all together long enough for one PC's unborn twins to arrive. These two are said to be the guarantors of Humanity's existence; no one knows _why_ they gurantee it, which will become apparent later on. In the meantime, they have to doff the Guyver units and penetrate the Aetherian Reaches so they take put down Porthos before he nukes the Earth.
  • Feng Shui: Right now, it's all about getting some personal payback or getting screwed by one's shadowy mentors. (Except for Kenshin; his time is yet to come.)

Forrester

First Post
Re: Against the Elves

Morrow said:
Well, I'm in Forrester's Against the Elves campaign. We play orcs, goblins, kobalds, and other such creatures battling the elves who are encroaching on our territory. We hate those pointy-eared creeps, but I don't think they qualify as evil.

Morrow

Glory to Maglubiyet!

For shame! Of COURSE they're evil! Remind me to dock you experience points tomorrow :).

Hmmmmm. Maybe if I made them more powerful, you'd think they were evil . . .

Azure Trance

First Post
x

After watching Oz for the past few months, a campaign-adventure in which the characters are stuck in a prison for their entire lives.

Prison politics, smuggling of contraband, conflict of interests of different races/religion/beliefs, etc. Lots of brawls and simple weapon fighting (shanks, pipes). Joining gangs, leaving, destroying, creating, going up or down the pecking order, whose 'back' you have so you won't get jumped on while by yourself in a hallway, and jobs (who controls the cafeteria, the gym, other lucrative ones).

Abuse by guards, who pays them off, a few good seeds in a rotten apple, magical experiments using prisoners as lab rats, whatever. All cumilating to an escape, at least.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Gez said:
Evil is everywhere, including among the "good guy", and saving the world from it while keeping one's hands clean is nigh impossible.

This is largely what my campaign is all about. The party recently had a chance to talk to one of the super-bad-guys running about (at last count, the party was looking at eleven or so big bads needing to be dealt with) -- and they asked her, "What do all these people want?"

Her answer: "They want to save the world." Which is precisely the truth -- what makes them bad is the lengths they need to go to in order to stop other terrible powers. If one person is seeking power, then other people will seek power in order to stop them. From the best of motives -- and thereby cause endless suffering for the "little people". What's happening to my party is that they've acquired enough power to attract the attention of assorted bad guys -- but don't have the power to fight them off and so are pretty permanently on the run. So yeah, they're fighting evil, but not in any sort of "crusade". They're just trying to stay alive and not become pawns in a much bigger game.

Remove ads