• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anything new on release dates? (As of May 8)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I doubt it will affect sales. Most (I assume) are suckers like me that want a good product, even if it's from a terrible company like them.

Of course, I know it's not helping them win back any PF players. I've spoken with a few who've said that Next could be vastly superior to PF and they still may not switch back, just because of WotC's attitude and practices.

Is this company-bashing supposed to help a discussion of this topic, or is it just for general bile spewing?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I know, but I'm still trying to figure out why Mearls winced every time the DMG was mentioned at last month's Q&A. I don't feel like the existence of the DMG ought to be in any way controversial. It makes me think.

Well, he was the guy who ensured that there was no book called the Player's Handbook for 4E Essentials - possibly the biggest WTF moment in that debacle (and I say that as a 4E fan!) - so maybe he was hoping to win the internal battle for a new product name...?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Player's Handcoot, Marshfowl Manual, and Widgeon Master's Guide?

(Somehow, I think I'm ducking the actual truth, there.)

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Well, he was the guy who ensured that there was no book called the Player's Handbook for 4E Essentials - possibly the biggest WTF moment in that debacle (and I say that as a 4E fan!) - so maybe he was hoping to win the internal battle for a new product name...?
No, I'm positive that they just have a very secretive corporate culture. They have a PR department that wants to control the message completely. So, they likely have someone in PR/advertising who sends them nasty e-mails each time they mention a product by name that hasn't been "officially" announced via a very controlled press release.

I've seen a bunch of them mention things like "the DM book" or "the DM product" or "some eventual DM oriented book" as a way of not mentioning the words "Dungeon Master Guide".

If they said the wrong thing, they'd be fired immediately. I'm guessing the mostly get a pass on things like "DMG" but they still likely get an e-mail with a reminder not to share too much.

KidSnide

Adventurer
It's also quite possible that there has been a delay and may not launch at Gen Con as everyone hoped.

I don't know about everyone else, but -- from my view -- that would be a terrific sign (if true). If the game just isn't quite done yet, I would much rather see WotC take an extra couple months to finish testing and polish than rush out an errata-filled game in time for GenCon.

Paper rule books don't auto-update.

-KS

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If they said the wrong thing, they'd be fired immediately. I'm guessing the mostly get a pass on things like "DMG" but they still likely get an e-mail with a reminder not to share too much.

Ha, no. They would not be fired if they said the wrong thing. The org chart for public relations definitely does not work that way. PR is kind of bottom of the pyramid. You say the wrong thing and someone would complain from PR, and a manager might have a stern talking to with you, but nobody gets fired by PR. That is, unless you cause an actual nightmare like pulling a Donald Sterling or something like that. But just talking about your job before PR told you to? Nobody gets fired for that.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
I don't know about everyone else, but -- from my view -- that would be a terrific sign (if true). If the game just isn't quite done yet, I would much rather see WotC take an extra couple months to finish testing and polish than rush out an errata-filled game in time for GenCon.

Paper rule books don't auto-update.

-KS

QFT

Warder

Remove ads